Two Questions About Physics from 11 Year Old Lazernugget

• Thread starter Lazernugget
  • Start date
In summary: Some radios had a small 2 to 3 watt light bulb in series with one of the power leads to limit the current and prevent the chassis from being energized. If you come across this, be aware of it and don't be tempted to bypass it. The old style capacitors used in the power supply are not reliable and could short out at any time. When they do, the resistor will be the only thing between you and 115vac. Actually, if you are lucky the resistor will be fine and the tube will get all the current. If you are not so lucky, the resistor will fail first and you will get the full 115vac.In summary, the conversation discusses two questions about physics
Lazernugget
So, I come to you today with 2 more of my amazing 11 year old questions about physics.

I'll make it short here:

1. I have an awesome Eco-friendly power source idea that I'm not going to post here 'cause it's too original. First of all, my basic knowledge of what electricity IS, is electrons jumping from one atom to another (I know, stupid sounding right?) but how do you initially get electrons to start moving? Plus, in silicon, is it the silicon atoms that let electrons jump from one atom to another, or is it just that electrons pass through the silicon atoms or something else?

2. I have a radio from like 1939 (My great grandfather) and as a summer project, me and my dad are going to try to fix it. It's really old and has a few vacuum tubes. First off, is there a place to get new vacuum tubes? Is there a place to get big bulky old-timey transformers and capacitors too? Thanks for the help,

Lazernugget

(Oh and by the way, YES I HAVE A SOLDERING IRON)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Lazernugget said:
1. ... First of all, my basic knowledge of what electricity IS, is electrons jumping from one atom to another...

Electrons "drift" through conductors. i.e. their velocity is very small compared to the random movement they are going through. I'll leave it up to you to follow through on these links.

micohm.gif

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/ohmmic.html"

Not only do electrons move through silicon but also holes.

intrin.gif

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/intrin.html"

2. I have a radio from like 1939 (My great grandfather) and as a summer project, me and my dad are going to try to fix it. It's really old and has a few vacuum tubes. ...[/QUOTE]

This reminds me of my early projects. I have a box of old tubes that I may share with you. Let me know the tube number when you get to that stage and I'll check. You can PM me if you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the old radio part...

Google should be your friend. There are lots of tubing enthusiasts out there still and folks who have hoards of back stock. But I've found that most often it's the capacitors that go bad or dry out or short or whatever. Usually they are marked with a farad and voltage value so you can make an attempt to find replacements, or even build-up what you need with multiple new smaller caps. The main problem these days will be finding the voltage rating, so remember that you can put 2 identical caps in series to double the voltage rating but it halves the capacitance.

dlgoff said:
This reminds me of my early projects.

schip666! said:
...The main problem these days will be finding the voltage rating, ...

Mentioning voltage brings up something that should be noted for safety. Care should be taken not to touch anything in these old radios while they are plugged into the power source. These tube circuits require some fairly hefty dc voltages. e.g. the maximum plate voltage for the 6CA7 pentode is 800volts and when used as a class A amplifier is 265volts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EL34"

Also note that some tubes have metal caps that connect to the plate.

Tube caps were also used for the plate (anode) connection, particularly in transmitting tubes and tubes using a very high plate voltage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_tube"

edit: one other thing comes to mind concerning safety. Back then, power receptacles were "two pronged" and did not have the third terminal for chassis safety ground. So when you plugged them in, you had a 50:50 chance (depending on the orientation on the prongs) of placing 115vac directly on the chassis.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Two Questions About Physics from 11 Year Old Lazernugget

What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them. It seeks to understand and explain the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe.

Why is physics important?

Physics is important because it helps us understand the world around us. It allows us to explain natural phenomena, develop new technologies, and make predictions about the future. It also plays a crucial role in many other fields, such as engineering, medicine, and astronomy.

How do we know what we know about physics?

Scientists use the scientific method to study and understand physics. This involves making observations, formulating hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data. The results are then peer-reviewed and published in scientific journals to be shared with the scientific community.

What are some famous physicists and their contributions?

Some famous physicists include Isaac Newton, who formulated the laws of motion and universal gravitation, Albert Einstein, who developed the theory of relativity, and Marie Curie, who discovered radioactivity. Other notable contributions include Galileo's work on the laws of mechanics, Max Planck's development of quantum theory, and Stephen Hawking's research on black holes.

What are some real-world applications of physics?

Physics has numerous real-world applications, including the development of technology such as computers, lasers, and medical imaging devices. It also plays a crucial role in modern transportation, energy production, and space exploration. Additionally, principles from physics are used in everyday life, such as understanding the properties of materials and designing buildings and bridges.