Two-Sample Problem: Comparing Synchronization of Breeding in Blue Titmice

• Thread starter ihearyourecho
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a study on whether birds learn to time their breeding based on their experience with caterpillar availability. The study found that there was no significant difference in synchronization between the group of birds that were fed supplemental caterpillars and the control group. This was determined through the use of a two-sample t statistic, which showed that the synchronizations did not differ between the two groups.
ihearyourecho

Homework Statement

Do birds learn to time their breeding? Blue titmice eat caterpillars. The birds would like lots of caterpillars around when they have young to feed, but they breed earlier than peak caterpillar season. Do the birds learn from one year's experience when they time breeding the next year? Researchers randomly assigned 7 pairs of birds to have the natural caterpillar supply supplemented while feeding their young and another 6 pairs to serve as a control group relying on natural food supply. The next year, they measured how many days after the caterpillar peak the birds produced their nestlings.

Did the randomization produce similar groups? First, compare the two groups in the first year. The only difference should be the chance effect of the random assignment. The study report says, "In the experimental year, the degree of synchronization did not differ between food-supplemented and control females." For this comparison, the report gives t=-1.05. What type of t statistic (paired or two-sample) is this? Show that this t leads to the quoted conclusion.

Homework Equations

I'm not sure..

The Attempt at a Solution

First off, I'm not sure what it means when it says to compare the groups. I'm pretty sure it's a two-sample problem. I'm also not sure of how to do the rest of the problem either. A little push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure this isn't right, but this is what I tentatively have down:

The two groups in the first year did not differ at all. “In the experimental year, the degree of synchronization did not differ between food-supplemented and control females.” The t statistic -1.05 is a two-sample statistic. Since -1.05 does not lie on the chart of Table C for degrees of freedom=5, we know that m1=m2, which means that the synchronizations didn’t differ between the food-supplemented and control females, just like the experimenter said.

Help would be awesome!

FAQ: Two-Sample Problem: Comparing Synchronization of Breeding in Blue Titmice

1. What is a two-sample problem in statistics?

A two-sample problem in statistics refers to a type of hypothesis testing where we compare the means or proportions of two independent groups. It is used to determine if there is a significant difference between the two groups, which can help us make conclusions about the population they represent.

2. How do I know if I have a two-sample problem?

If you are comparing two groups or populations and are interested in knowing if there is a significant difference between them, then you likely have a two-sample problem. Some common examples include comparing the effectiveness of two different treatments or comparing the average salaries of two different professions.

3. What is the difference between a one-sample and a two-sample problem?

In a one-sample problem, we are interested in comparing a single group or population to a known or hypothesized value. In a two-sample problem, we are interested in comparing two separate groups or populations to each other.

4. What are the steps to solve a two-sample problem?

The steps to solve a two-sample problem include:

• State the null and alternative hypotheses
  • Collect data from the two groups
  • Calculate the test statistic (such as the t-statistic or z-score)
  • Determine the p-value using a statistical table or software
  • Compare the p-value to the significance level (usually 0.05)
  • Make a decision to reject or fail to reject the null hypothesis
  • Interpret the results and make conclusions about the two groups

5. What are some common tests used for a two-sample problem?

Some common tests used for a two-sample problem include the t-test, z-test, and ANOVA (analysis of variance). The specific test used will depend on the type of data (continuous or categorical) and the number of groups being compared. For example, a t-test is used for continuous data with two groups, while ANOVA is used for continuous data with three or more groups.

Back