Two-sided Prinicipal Ideal - the Noncommutative Case - D&F

• I
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
In summary, in Section 7.4 of Dummit and Foote's book on Abstract Algebra, they discuss the properties of ideals in noncommutative rings. They explain that in the noncommutative case, the set of elements of the form ##\{ ras \ | \ r, s \in R \}## may not necessarily be the two-sided ideal generated by ##a## because it may not be closed under addition. Instead, the ideal generated by ##a## in this case is the set ##RaR##, which consists of all finite sums of elements of the form ##ras, r,s \in R##. The reason for this is that in noncommutative rings, the factors ##r
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote's book: Abstract Algebra ... ... and am currently focused on Section 7.4 Properties of Ideals ... ...

I have a basic question regarding the generation of a two sided principal ideal in the noncommutative case ...

In Section 7.4 on pages 251-252 Dummit and Foote write the following:
?temp_hash=ca92414d4802ac8f6cfd56bd2273af5e.png

In the above text we read:" ... ... If ##R## is not commutative, however, the set ##\{ ras \ | \ r, s \in R \}## is not necessarily the two-sided ideal generated by ##a## since it need not be closed under addition (in this case the ideal generated by ##a## is the ideal ##RaR##, which consists of all finite sums of elements of the form ##ras, r,s \in R##). ... ... "
I must confess I do not understand or follow this argument ... I hope someone can clarify (slowly and clearly
confused.png
) what it means ... ...Specifically ... ... why, exactly, is the set ##\{ ras \ | \ r, s \in R \}## not necessarily the two-sided ideal generated by ##a##?The reason given is "since it need not be closed under addition" ... I definitely do not follow this statement ... surely an ideal is closed under addition! ...... ... and why, exactly does the two-sided ideal generated by a consist of all finite sums of elements of the form ##ras, r,s \in R## ... ... ?
Hope someone can help ... ...

Peter================================================================================To give readers the background and context to the above text from Dummit and Foote, I am providing the introductory page of Section 7.4 as follows ... ...

Attachments

• D&F - 1 - Principal Ideal - Non-Comm case - PART 1 ....png
    D&F - 1 - Principal Ideal - Non-Comm case - PART 1 ....png
    7.2 KB · Views: 557
  • D&F - 2 - Principal Ideal - Non-Comm case - PART 2 ....png
    D&F - 2 - Principal Ideal - Non-Comm case - PART 2 ....png
    10.7 KB · Views: 623
  • D&F - Intro to Section 7.4 ... ....png
    D&F - Intro to Section 7.4 ... ....png
    42.6 KB · Views: 626
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
Specifically ... ... why, exactly, is the set {ras | r,s∈R}{ras | r,s∈R}\{ ras \ | \ r, s \in R \} not necessarily the two-sided ideal generated by aaa?
In an ideal ##\mathcal{I}## you have ##x+y\in \mathcal{I}## for elements ##x\,,\,y\in \mathcal{I}##. This is a basic part of its definition.
If you now have two elements ##ras \; (r,s\in R\,; a\in \mathcal{I})## and ##paq \; (p,q \in R\,; a\in \mathcal{I})## there is - in general - no way to write ##ras+paq=uav## because you cannot pull the factors ##r,s,p,q## on the other side of ##a##.
Therefore ##\mathcal{I}=(a) = RaR = LC(\{ras \,|\, r,s \in R\}) \supsetneq \{ras \,|\, r,s \in R\}## is - in general - a proper inclusion. The latter is only a set.

In the commutative case we have
##ras+paq=r(as)+p(aq)=r(sa)+p(qa)=(rs)a+(pq)a=(rs+pq)a## and all linear combinations are of the form ##ua\;(u=rs+pq \in R)##.
However, this calculation is not allowed in non-commutative rings.

Likes Math Amateur
You should try to find a counterexamples yourself where ##\{ras~\vert~r,s\in R\}## is not an ideal. Think of some simple noncommutative rings.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks fresh_42 ... that was most helpful ...

Thanks for suggestion micromass ... will try messing around with 2 by 2 matrices ...

Peter

Related to Two-sided Prinicipal Ideal - the Noncommutative Case - D&F

1. What is a two-sided principal ideal in the noncommutative case?

A two-sided principal ideal is a special type of ideal in a noncommutative ring, which is a mathematical structure used to study algebraic properties of numbers. In the noncommutative case, the ideal is generated by a single element that can be multiplied from both the left and the right by any element in the ring.

2. How does a two-sided principal ideal differ from other types of ideals?

In a two-sided principal ideal, the generating element can be multiplied from both the left and the right, while in other types of ideals, the generating element can only be multiplied from one side. This allows for a broader range of elements to be included in the ideal, making it more versatile for certain algebraic manipulations.

3. What is the significance of two-sided principal ideals in the noncommutative case?

Two-sided principal ideals play an important role in the study of noncommutative rings because they help to define and characterize certain algebraic properties, such as the existence of idempotents and the structure of prime ideals. They also provide a useful tool for analyzing the behavior of elements within a ring.

4. Can a two-sided principal ideal be generated by more than one element?

No, a two-sided principal ideal can only be generated by a single element. This is because the definition of a two-sided principal ideal requires that the generating element be able to be multiplied from both the left and the right, and this can only be achieved with one element.

5. How are two-sided principal ideals related to commutative rings?

In commutative rings, all ideals are two-sided principal ideals. This means that in commutative rings, the generating element of an ideal can be multiplied from both the left and the right. However, in noncommutative rings, this is not always the case, which is why two-sided principal ideals hold a special significance in this context.