Two slit diffraction, neutron, kinetic energy

In summary: The issue is that you used 4.33E-12 for lambda instead of 6.67E-12. After correcting this, the final answer would be 19.1 eV.
Yroyathon
hi again folks. this week's set of problems is getting my goat. here's another I can't seem to figure out.

Homework Statement

In a neutron two-slit diffraction experiment, the slits are 65 µm apart. If the third diffraction maximum is detected at an angle of 2 multiplied by 10-7 rad, what is the kinetic energy of the neutrons?

Homework Equations

E=h*f=(h*c)/lambda
d * sin theta_n = n * lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

I set d = 65 * 10^(-6), and n=3. theta_n = 2*10^(-7). I used this to solve for lambda. Given the energy equation, I computed (h*c)/lambda to get 4.59 * 10^(-14) eV, but this is wrong. I thought I had a clear application of this equation here, but there has to be something I'm not quite getting that's different, that I'm not taking into account here.

can anyone see what I've missed?

I'd appreciate any ideas you might have.

,Yroyathon

Physics news on Phys.org
You are using neutron, not photon.

oh. ok. so instead of using E=h/f, should I substitute Broglie wavelength lambda=h/p, Planck's constant divided by momentum?

and then use p=sqrt(2*m*E), momentum equals the square root of the product of 2, the mass of the neutron, and its kinetic energy? using this and the original d * Sin[theta_n] = n * lambda, I believe I can find the kinetic energy.

does this sound right?

well, that approach didn't work. is the equation p=sqrt(2mE) not valid for this scenario?

Yes, I would really like some additional input on this problem as well, if anyone has anything to offer.

I have tried all of the steps Yroyathon has done and still have not arrived at the correct answer.

Except what I did was do (6.5E-5sin(2^-7))/(3)=lambda.

From this I used K= (h^2)/2m(lambda^2) and plugged everything in like so

K=(6.63E-34)^2/(2*1.6749E-27 kg)(4.33E-12)^2, which equals 6.98E-18, then i used the analogy 1 eV= 1.6E-19 J, so then took (6.98E-18/1.6E-19)= 4.367 eV.

I'm not sure what Yroyathon and I are doing wrong?

6.98E-18/1.6E-19 is 43.67, not 4.367.

ideasrule said:

despite this miscalculation, the answer is still wrong.
there is something wrong with either the solution or the question.

In the diffraction pattern, the third maximum is obtained when the path difference is 5λ/2, assuming that the central maximum is the first maximum.

In a neutron two-slit diffraction experiment, the slits are 100 µm apart. If the third diffraction maximum is located at an angle of 2.0x〖10〗^(-7) rad, what is the kinetic energy of the neutrons?

Relevant equations:
nλ=Dsinθ
K=p^2/2m=h^2/(2mλ^2 )

Thus we have then
λ=((100x〖10〗^(-6) m) sin⁡(2.0x〖10〗^(-7) rad))/3=6.67x〖10〗^(-12) m

The kinetic energy then for a low-energy neutron is as follows:
K=(6.63x〖10〗^(-34) J∙s)^2/[2(1.67x〖10〗^(-27) kg) (6.67x〖10〗^(-12) m)^2 ] = 2.958x〖10〗^(-18) J.

Finally, if you would like to convert it to eV, then:
Recall 1 eV=1.6x〖10〗^(-19) J
(2.958x〖10〗^(-18) J)/(1.6x〖10〗^(-19) J)=18.4 eV ≈19 eV

Please don’t correct my minor mistakes such as the number of decimals or a letter missing. If you would like to explain anything then conceptually explain it.

ideasrule said:

It's actually 43.625...

FAQ: Two slit diffraction, neutron, kinetic energy

1. What is two slit diffraction?

Two slit diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when light or other types of waves pass through two parallel slits and interfere with each other, creating a characteristic pattern of bright and dark fringes on a screen behind the slits.

2. How does two slit diffraction work?

When light or waves pass through the two slits, they diffract and overlap, interfering with each other. This interference causes some areas on the screen to have constructive interference, resulting in bright fringes, while other areas have destructive interference, resulting in dark fringes.

3. How are neutrons involved in two slit diffraction?

Neutrons, like light and other types of waves, can also diffract and interfere with each other when passing through two slits. This phenomenon is used in neutron diffraction experiments to study the structure of materials.

4. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and two slit diffraction?

The kinetic energy of particles, such as neutrons, determines their wavelength. As the wavelength of the particles changes, the diffraction pattern on the screen also changes. This relationship can be used to study the energy and momentum of particles in experiments.

5. What are some real-world applications of two slit diffraction?

Two slit diffraction is used in various fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to study the atomic and molecular structure of materials, as well as to measure the size and spacing of particles. It also has practical applications, such as in the design of diffraction gratings for optical devices, such as spectrometers and telescopes.

Back