Two slit experiment at home and interference

In summary, it is possible to do the experiment at home and see light as a wave because the interference patterns can only be seen with coherent waves, which a laser provides. However, interfering with the wave pattern and making it go through only one of the slits is not easily achievable at home due to the need for specialized detectors. The delayed choice experiment, which can demonstrate the effects of which-way information, is also not possible to do at home.
jimmylegss
Why is it possible to do this experiment at home and still see light as a wave? Isn't there loads of interference? Or does this have to do with wavelength? If you use a laserpen and 3 needles you can basicly do it at home without shielding off anything...

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason is that those neat interference patterns can't be seen using any kind of light. The condition for interference to happen is that the two waves being interfered should be coherent. All of those other lights in the room don't satisfy this and so can't interfere in some way that disturbs your experiment. But two waves coming from a single point source, are indeed coherent. For extended sources, the source should be of special kind, which a laser is!

Im sorry, I did not phrase that very well.

I mean how can I observe and disturb that pattern? Since you can easily do this outside a vaccuum? Basicly I got a laser, shine it through 2 slits, and it shows a wave pattern. But how can i interfere and disturb that wave pattern and make them go through either one of the slits (and not see the wave pattern on the other side, just two blots of light).

jimmylegss said:
Im sorry, I did not phrase that very well.

I mean how can I observe and disturb that pattern? Since you can easily do this outside a vaccuum? Basicly I got a laser, shine it through 2 slits, and it shows a wave pattern. But how can i interfere and disturb that wave pattern and make them go through either one of the slits (and not see the wave pattern on the other side, just two blots of light).

You can't do that easily at home. The challenge is that you need detectors that will produce the necessary which-path information without absorbing the light (or you'll get no spot at all). Google around and you'll find some writeups of how it can be done with the resources of a (better than average) college physics lab.

jimmylegss said:
But how can i interfere and disturb that wave pattern and make them go through either one of the slits

Mount the slits firmly, then very carefully move a sharp edge like a razor blade behind them, so it blocks one of the slits.

Likes bhobba
haha no i meant interfering with the wave pattern before it hits the screen with both slits open.

Last edited:

FAQ: Two slit experiment at home and interference

1. What is the two slit experiment at home?

The two slit experiment at home is a simplified version of the famous double slit experiment in physics. It involves shining a light source through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

2. Can the two slit experiment be performed at home?

Yes, the two slit experiment can be easily performed at home using materials such as a laser pointer, cardboard, and a screen. It is a fun and educational experiment for all ages to understand the concept of interference in wave-like phenomena.

3. What is the purpose of performing the two slit experiment at home?

The purpose of performing the two slit experiment at home is to demonstrate the principle of wave interference and to show how two waves can interact with each other to create a pattern. It also helps in understanding the dual nature of light as both a particle and a wave.

4. What are some common challenges when performing the two slit experiment at home?

Some common challenges when performing the two slit experiment at home include getting the slits to be the right size and distance apart, ensuring a stable light source, and minimizing external disturbances such as air currents. It may also be difficult to achieve the perfect conditions for observing the interference pattern.

5. How can the two slit experiment at home be modified to observe different outcomes?

The two slit experiment at home can be modified by changing the distance between the slits, using different light sources, or adding obstacles in front of the slits. These modifications can result in different patterns and can help in understanding the concept of interference and diffraction in more depth.

Back