Two spheres mass of inertia multivariable calculus problem

In summary, the moment of inertia of the solid region bounded by two spheres with mass density u=sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2) around the x-axis is equal to the moment of inertia around the z-axis due to spherical symmetry. The integral for the moment of inertia around the x-axis is triple intergal p^3(sin^2(@)sin^2(theta) + cos^2(@)) dpd@dtheta where 1<p<sqrt(2), 0<@<pi, and 0<theta<2pi. The integral can be simplified to 9*pi^2/4.
jamesdocherty

Homework Statement

Let R be the solid region that is bounded by two spheres x^2 + y^2 + z^2=1 and x^2 + y^2 + z^2=2. Determine the moment of inertia of R around the x-axis if the mass density per unit volume of R is u=sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2).

Homework Equations

Moment of Inertia around the x-axis: triple integral (y^2+z^2)*u(x,y,z) dxdydz

using (p,@,theta) for spherical coordinates as it will be faster to type, sorry for any confusion.

spherical coordinates:
x=psin(@)cos(theta)
y=psin(@)sin(theta)
z=pcos(@)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the Moment of Inertia around the x-axis equation, i first got the equation:

triple integral (y^2+z^2)*sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2) dxdydz

now converting to spherical coordinates i got:

triple intergal (p^2*sin^2(@)*sin^2(theta) + p^2*cos^2(@))*sqrt(p^2*sin^2(@)*cos^2(theta) + p^2*sin^2(@)*sin^2(theta) + p^2*cos^2(@)) dpd@dtheta

After some simplification:

triple intergal p^3(sin^2(@)sin^2(theta) + cos^2(@)) dpd@dtheta

where 1<p<sqrt(2) and 0<@<pi and 0<theta<2pi

the 1<p<sqrt(2) is because of the two radius and the other two because its a sphere and its centred at the origin, i know 0<theta<2pi is correct but I'm not sure if 0<@<pi or 0<@<2pi.

solving this integral i got 9*pi^2/4 which I'm not sure is correct as I'm not sure if I'm even able to do it this way, any tips or help would be much appreciated !

Physics news on Phys.org
You have forgotten that [itex]dx\,dy\,dz = \rho^2 \sin \phi\,d\rho\,d\theta\,d\phi[/itex]. The region you are integrating over is [itex]\{1 \leq \rho \leq \sqrt{2}, 0 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi, 0 \leq \phi \leq \pi\}[/itex].

Because of spherical symmetry in the problem, the moment of inertia about the x-axis is equal to the moment of inertia about the z-axis. In the latter calculation, the integral is a little simpler.

Related to Two spheres mass of inertia multivariable calculus problem

1. What is a "Two spheres mass of inertia multivariable calculus problem"?

A "Two spheres mass of inertia multivariable calculus problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the moment of inertia of two spheres with different masses and radii. This problem requires the use of multivariable calculus to solve.

2. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for two spheres?

To calculate the moment of inertia for two spheres, you need to use the formula I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the sphere, and r is the radius of the sphere. You will need to calculate the moment of inertia for each sphere separately and then add them together to get the total moment of inertia for the system.

3. What is the significance of the moment of inertia in physics?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is an important concept in physics as it helps us understand the behavior and stability of rotating objects, such as planets, wheels, and other rotating systems.

4. What are some real-life applications of the "Two spheres mass of inertia multivariable calculus problem"?

This type of problem can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as calculating the moment of inertia of a gyroscope, determining the stability of a rotating satellite, or designing a flywheel for an engine. It is also used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and robotics.

5. Can this problem be solved without using multivariable calculus?

No, this problem requires the use of multivariable calculus as it involves calculating the moment of inertia for two spheres with different masses and radii. This cannot be solved using basic calculus or algebraic methods.