Two-tailed inverse CDF of F distribution

In summary, the "inverse CDF" of F distribution is a function used to find the critical region for a given significance level in statistical tests involving the standard deviations of two populations. When performing a 2-tailed F test, the probabilities used should be doubled, or the output value should be interpreted as corresponding to a doubled input. This may result in a different critical value than a 1-tailed F test.
Rasalhague
Two-tailed "inverse CDF" of F distribution

I'm working through Koosis: Statistics: A Self Teaching Guide, 4th edition. In Chapter 5, Koosis describes how to use a function which goes by the name of F.INV.RT(probability,deg_freedom1,deg_freedom2) in Excel 2010 to find the critical region for a given significance level, for a statistical test where the alternative hypothesis is that the standard deviation of the numerator population is greater than that of the denominator population. I've tried this on the example in the book, in section 16, and get the same result.

I've now come to sections 5.19-22 where he introduces the idea of a statistical test for the alternative that the standard deviations of a pair of populations are not equal.

In 5.19 he says the method is the same, except that "you double the probabilities when you use the F table." When I try this on the example in 5.20, I get a different result from the book. In this example, the size of both samples is 10. The significance level is 2%. In Excel 2010, I get F.INV.RT(0.04,9,9) = 3.438684. In Mathematica, I get InverseCDF[FRatioDistribution[9, 9], 1 - .04] = 3.43868. (This function in Mathematica produces the same results as the book for the one-tailed case.) The book's answer is 5.35; the critical region is the region greater than or equal to 3.35.

Is 5.35 a typo, or am I making a mistake? If the latter, how do I find the correct result in Excel and Mathematica?

Physics news on Phys.org

Rasalhague said:
The book's answer is 5.35; the critical region is the region greater than or equal to 3.35.

Correction: "The book's answer is 5.35; according to the book, the critical region is greater than or equal to 5.35."

Epiphany! When he says "double the probabilities" to perform a 2-tailed F test, he means: to find the critical value for a given significance level, [itex]\alpha[/itex], you should input half of the number you would have used if this was a 1-tailed F test!

More precisely, suppose you have a function [itex]g:(0,1)\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex], which you can use for a specific 1-tailed F test as follows: you input your desired significance level, [itex]\alpha[/itex], and it outputs the critical value, [itex]g(\alpha)[/itex], which, for this 1-tailed F test, corresponds to that significance level, [itex]\alpha[/itex]. And let [itex]f:(0,1)\rightarrow (0,1) \; | \; f(x)=x/2[/itex]. Then, if you input [itex]\alpha[/itex] into the composite function [itex]g\circ f[/itex], its value [itex]g\circ f (\alpha)[/itex] will be the critical value of the 2-tailed F test which has the same parameters as your original 1-tailed F test. (That is, the 1-tailed F test for which [itex]g(\alpha)[/itex] was the critical value.)

In other words, when performing a 2-tailed F test: if you input a given number, [itex]\alpha[/itex], into a function [itex]g[/itex], such that, for a 1-tailed F test, [itex]g(\alpha)[/itex] would be the critical value corresponding to significance level, [itex]\alpha[/itex], then - in this 2-tailed test - [itex]g(\alpha)[/itex] be the critical value which corresponds to the significance level [itex]2\alpha[/itex]. So you should either "halve the input" xor "interpret the output as corresponding to a doubled input".

Last edited:

FAQ: Two-tailed inverse CDF of F distribution

1. What is a two-tailed inverse CDF of F distribution?

The two-tailed inverse CDF (Cumulative Distribution Function) of F distribution is a statistical tool used to calculate the critical values for a given level of significance in a two-tailed F-test. It is also known as the inverse F-distribution or the quantile function.

2. How is the two-tailed inverse CDF of F distribution calculated?

The calculation of the two-tailed inverse CDF of F distribution involves finding the values of the F distribution that correspond to a given level of significance, degrees of freedom, and numerator and denominator degrees of freedom. This can be done using statistical software or by referring to a table of critical values for the F distribution.

3. What is the purpose of using the two-tailed inverse CDF of F distribution?

The two-tailed inverse CDF of F distribution is used in hypothesis testing to determine the critical values for a given level of significance. These critical values are then compared to the calculated test statistic to determine whether to reject or fail to reject the null hypothesis. It is also useful in calculating confidence intervals and in determining the power of a statistical test.

4. How does the two-tailed inverse CDF of F distribution differ from the one-tailed inverse CDF?

The two-tailed inverse CDF of F distribution calculates critical values for a two-tailed F-test, where the alternative hypothesis can be either greater than or less than the null hypothesis. On the other hand, the one-tailed inverse CDF only calculates critical values for a one-tailed F-test, where the alternative hypothesis is either greater than or less than the null hypothesis, but not both.

5. Are there any limitations to using the two-tailed inverse CDF of F distribution?

One limitation of using the two-tailed inverse CDF of F distribution is that it assumes the data follows a normal distribution. If the data is not normally distributed, alternative methods may need to be used. Also, the F-test assumes equal variances between groups, so the two-tailed inverse CDF may not be appropriate if this assumption is violated.