Two Vector Problem: Calculate B_y

• Thread starter Euler2718
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the homework statement says that the vector A+B is parallel to the y-axis. However, when Chet tried to calculate the magnitude of this vector, he found that it was incorrect.
Euler2718

Homework Statement

The diagram below shows two vectors, A and B, and their angles relative to the coordinate axes as indicated.

vector.png

DATA: α=45.7°; β=55.6°; |A|=3.50 cm. The vector AB is parallel to the −x axis. Calculate the y-component of vector B.

Homework Equations

rsinθ=y

The Attempt at a Solution

A-B is parallel to x so A_{y} must equal B_{y} ? Therefore, 3.5sin45.7 = A_{y} = B_{y} = 2.50 cm ; which is wrong. I'm a bit confused here. It tells me "Since the sum vector (AB) has no y-component, vector A must have the same y-component as vector B. As shown, 'east' is for +x, and 'north' for +y, thus the answer can be negative. " Did I mess up the calculation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Morgan Chafe said:
A-B is parallel to x so A_{y} must equal B_{y} ? Therefore, 3.5sin45.7 = A_{y} = B_{y} = 2.50 cm ; which is wrong.
Why do you say it's wrong? They haven't given you a magnitude for B so you just need to choose a magnitude for B that, given its angle, makes its vertical component equal to 2.50.

andrewkirk said:
Why do you say it's wrong? They haven't given you a magnitude for B so you just need to choose a magnitude for B that, given its angle, makes its vertical component equal to 2.50.

It's part of an online assignment, to which when I enter 2.50 cm it tells me it's incorrect.

Perhaps they really meant to ask you the magnitude of B, because if they didn't want that they wouldn't have needed to give you the angle ##\beta##. Try calculating and entering that and see if it accepts it.

If that doesn't work, the next thing I'd try is the x component of B.

andrewkirk said:
Perhaps they really meant to ask you the magnitude of B, because if they didn't want that they wouldn't have needed to give you the angle ##\beta##. Try calculating and entering that and see if it accepts it.

Sorry, I should of specified. I supposed they give you β because there's other parts to the question:

Calculate the x-component of the vector AB.

Calculate the magnitude of the vector A+B.

I do think it's being explicit though, in wanting the y-component rather than the vector. I could try but I have four more tries left.

Perhaps they want a minus sign on the 2.5. The word 'component' can refer either to an unsigned vector or to a signed scalar. If they mean the latter, the answer would be -2.50 since the vertical component is downwards and the positive y direction is up..

Likes Euler2718
andrewkirk said:
Perhaps they want a minus sign on the 2.5. The word 'component' can refer either to an unsigned vector or to a signed scalar. If they mean the latter, the answer would be -2.50 since the vertical component is downwards and the positive y direction is up..

Wow...

wow....png

I still don't understand though. So is it that if the vector is 'moving downwards' in a Cartesian plane, the y-component, regardless of the quadrant it resides in, will be negative? Vice versa for 'moving upwards'?

Yes that's right, although it would be more accurate to say pointing downwards rather than moving.

Vectors don't have a location. A vector is just a direction and a magnitude. In fact it's a little odd that the two vectors are drawn the way they are, rather than head-to-tail as is the usual convention. I guess that in this case they didn't want to draw them head to tail because they want you to calc things about both A - B and A + B and those two give different head to tail diagrams.

Likes Euler2718
The y component of A is -2.5. The y component of A - B is yA - yB=0. Therefore, yB=yA= -2.5

Having trouble with "Calculate the magnitude of the vector A+B. " My friends and I are stuck and what seems like a easy problem.

Morgan Chafe said:
Having trouble with "Calculate the magnitude of the vector A+B. " My friends and I are stuck and what seems like a easy problem.
What are the x- and y components of the vectors A and B?

Chestermiller said:
What are the x- and y components of the vectors A and B?

A_{y} = 2.5
B_{y} = -2.5
A_{x} = 2.44
B_{x} = 3.65 (-3.65? it shouldn't matter since Pythagoras)

We did:

[tex] \sqrt{(2.44+3.65)^{2} + (2.5+2.5)^{2} } = 7.88 cm [/tex]

Which it tells me is wrong.

Would A+B be parallel to the y-axis?

Morgan Chafe said:
Would A+B be parallel to the y-axis?
No. In the figure, is the x component of A positive or negative? In the figure, is the x component of B positive or negative?

Chet

Likes Euler2718
Chestermiller said:
No. In the figure, is the x component of A positive or negative? In the figure, is the x component of B positive or negative?

Chet
I got it now, thanks. Answer was 5.14 cm

Related to Two Vector Problem: Calculate B_y

1. What is a Two Vector Problem?

A Two Vector Problem involves solving for unknown variables in a system of two vectors. This can include calculating the magnitude, direction, or components of the vectors.

2. How do you calculate B_y in a Two Vector Problem?

To calculate B_y, you will need to use the trigonometric function of sine. B_y represents the vertical component of a vector B, and can be found by taking the magnitude of B and multiplying it by the sine of the angle that B makes with the horizontal axis.

3. What is the importance of calculating B_y in a Two Vector Problem?

Calculating B_y is important because it allows us to understand the vertical component of a vector, which can have significant effects on the overall motion or forces acting on an object.

4. Can B_y ever be negative in a Two Vector Problem?

Yes, B_y can be negative in a Two Vector Problem. This would indicate that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the vertical axis, or below it.

5. Are there any other methods for calculating B_y in a Two Vector Problem?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating B_y, such as using the cosine function or using vector algebra. However, using the sine function is the most common and straightforward method for solving for B_y in a Two Vector Problem.