Two wave superposition with different wavelength , amplitude and frequ

In summary, an amplitude modulation is obtained if the waves have different amplitudes, frequencies, and wavelengths.
ptolomeo

Homework Statement

Hi

Two wave superposition with different wavelength , amplitude and frequency

u1(x,t)=A1cos(k1x+w1t)
u2(x,t)=A2cos(k2x+w2t)

a)Show that an amplitude modulation is obtained

Homework Equations

No relevant equations

The Attempt at a Solution

u=u1+u2=A1cos(k1x+w1t)+A2cos(k2x+w2t)

and now i don't know what to do, is there any way to relate A1 and A2

I searched in the internet and I found Fresnell method which can solve it for two waves of the tipe:
u1=u2=A1cos(w1t)
u2=A1cos(w2t)=A1cos(w1t+phi)

but in my case I don't think I can do that because there are 2 variables in the cos

Its my first post so thanks
pd: sorry for my bad english

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this: Draw a right triangle with the length of one leg equal to ##A_1##, the length of the other leg equal to ##A_2##, and with hypotenuse equal to ##\sqrt{A_1^2+A_2^2}##. Then express ##A_1## and ##A_2## in terms of ##A## and an angle ##\theta##, appropriately defined. That might get it into a form you can more easily work with.

I'm just making a suggestion. I haven't actually worked the problem out, so the suggestion may not turn out to be useful.

Expresing in terms of A=√A21+A22

I arrive to the expresion

u(x,t)=(A/sinθ)(tan(θ)cos(k1x+w1t)+cos(k2x+w2t)) I don't see how it can help :/ but thanks

Maybe I can prove that there's a Amplitude modulation without merging the cos

Waves.png

I think i found a way to solve it so if i make two vectors where A1 and A2 is the module of each vector I just have to sum them and then find the angle of the resulting vector.

Where θ1=k1x-w1t
θ2=k2x-w2t
u1=A1cosθ1
u2=A2cosθ2

And alfa=(θ1-θ2)/2+θ2=θ1+θ2/2

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question. The phenomenon you are describing is known as superposition, where two or more waves combine to form a new wave. In this case, the resulting wave will have a different amplitude, wavelength, and frequency compared to the individual waves.

To determine the amplitude modulation, we can use the principle of superposition which states that the resulting wave is the sum of the individual waves. In this case, the amplitude of the resulting wave will be the sum of the amplitudes of the individual waves, A1 + A2.

As for the wavelength and frequency, we can use the fact that the wavelength is inversely proportional to the wave number (k) and the frequency is directly proportional to the angular frequency (w). So, for the resulting wave, the wavelength will be the average of the individual wavelengths, (λ1 + λ2)/2, and the frequency will also be the average of the individual frequencies, (f1 + f2)/2.

I hope this helps answer your question. If you have any further inquiries, please let me know. Good luck with your studies!

FAQ: Two wave superposition with different wavelength , amplitude and frequ

What is superposition in the context of waves?

Superposition is the phenomenon where two or more waves overlap and combine to form a new wave. This new wave has a different amplitude, frequency, and wavelength compared to the individual waves.

How does the wavelength affect the superposition of waves?

The wavelength of a wave determines the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs. When two waves of different wavelengths superimpose, they can either constructively or destructively interfere with each other, resulting in a new wave with a different wavelength.

What happens when waves with different amplitudes superimpose?

When two waves with different amplitudes superimpose, the amplitudes of each wave add together. If the waves have the same direction of motion, they will constructively interfere and the resulting amplitude will be the sum of the individual amplitudes. If the waves have opposite directions of motion, they will destructively interfere and the resulting amplitude will be the difference between the individual amplitudes.

Can waves with different frequencies superimpose?

Yes, waves with different frequencies can superimpose. When this happens, the resulting wave will have a frequency that is the average of the frequencies of the individual waves. This is known as beats and can be heard as a fluctuation in the amplitude of the resulting wave.

How is the principle of superposition used in real-world applications?

The principle of superposition is used in many real-world applications, including noise cancellation technology, radio and television broadcasting, and medical imaging techniques such as ultrasound. It is also a fundamental concept in the study of light and sound waves, and is used to understand and predict the behavior of waves in many different fields of science and engineering.