Tying to use Zangwill's EM book for multilayer R and T coeff

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Em
In summary, the author is trying to solve an equation for T and R coefficients for an EM plane wave going through 3 layers with unknowns R and T. He states that the product from 1 to N-1 goes from j=1 to N-1=1 and that the result depends on ##\varepsilon _i## and ##\mu _i##. He then is advised to calculate T and R explicitely for particular values of n_1, n_2, and n_3.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I am trying to use Zangwill's book to calculate the transmisson (T) and reflexion (R) coefficients for an EM plane wave going through 3 layers. (the intermediate layer has a width d).
I am reading pages 604/605, he defines "N+1" as the number of layers in which layer 0 is half infinite (from say ##x=-\infty## to x=0) and layer N is also semi infinite and extends to positive infinite.
The book reaches a system of 2 equations with 2 unknows: [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1+R \\ (1-R)Z_0^{-1} \end{bmatrix}=\prod _{j=1}^{N-1} \begin{bmatrix} \cos \phi _j && -i Z_j \sin \phi _j \\ -iZ_j ^{-1}\sin \phi _j && \cos \phi _j \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} T \\ TZ_N^{-1} \end{bmatrix}[/tex] where the 2 unknowns are R and T. In fact I don't understand why these are 2 unknows since when we know one of them we know both of them since R+T must equal 1. 2. The attempt at a solution
I have 3 layers so N+1=3, so N=2. So if I use the formula given in the book, the product goes from j=1 to N-1=1 so I have only 1 term for the product.
Then I manually solved the system of equations for T and reached that [tex]T=\frac{2n_1/(c \mu_0 )}{\left ( \frac{-in_2}{c\mu_1} \right ) \sin (n_2 d \omega /c) + \cos (n_2 d \omega /c) \left ( \frac{n_3}{c \mu_2} \right ) + \left ( \frac{n_1}{c\mu_0} \right ) [\cos (n_2 d \omega /c) -\frac{in_2}{c \varepsilon_1} \sin (n_2 d \omega /c) \frac{n_3}{c \mu _2}] }[/tex] where the notation is a bit misleading since ##n_i## is the refractive index of the i'th layer while ##\varepsilon _i## and ##\mu _i## corresponds to the i-1'th layers.
What I don't like about my result is that it depends on ##\varepsilon _i## and ##\mu _i## and given the problem statement I would have hoped to get all in terms of ##n_i## instead but I see no way of reaching that.
Then I'm told to calculate explicitely T and R for particular values of ##n_1##, ##n_2## and ##n_3##. So I don't know where I went wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that the 3 mediums have the same permeability than free space (##\mu_0##), I reach that [tex]T=\frac{2n_1}{(n_1+n_3)\cos (n_2 d \omega /c)-i (n_2+n_3)\sin (n_2d \omega /c)}[/tex]. However I see that this is a complex number which cannot be right. I am wondering whether the matrix formula from Zangwill's book that I posted here is well suited to solve my problem. Can someone confirm that I can reach what I want using that formula and that I probably made some arithmetic errors somewhere... Thanks.

Maybe I should take the absolute value of my result and square it up... I find the book extremely confusing about what is meant by "T" and "R". Apparently it is used for more than 1 physical concept...

Related to Tying to use Zangwill's EM book for multilayer R and T coeff

1. What is Zangwill's EM book?

Zangwill's EM book, also known as "Modern Electrodynamics", is a comprehensive textbook on electromagnetic theory written by John David Jackson. It covers topics such as electrostatics, magnetostatics, electromagnetic waves, and more.

2. How can Zangwill's EM book be used for multilayer R and T coefficient calculations?

Zangwill's EM book provides a theoretical foundation for understanding electromagnetic waves and their interactions with different materials. By studying the concepts and equations presented in the book, one can calculate the reflection and transmission coefficients for a multilayer system using the appropriate equations.

3. Are there any limitations to using Zangwill's EM book for multilayer R and T coefficient calculations?

While Zangwill's EM book is a valuable resource for understanding electromagnetic theory, it may not cover all possible scenarios for multilayer systems. It is important to also consult other sources and consider factors such as material properties and boundary conditions when calculating R and T coefficients.

4. Is Zangwill's EM book suitable for beginners in electromagnetic theory?

Zangwill's EM book is a comprehensive and rigorous textbook, so it may be challenging for beginners in electromagnetic theory. However, it can serve as a valuable resource for self-study and as a reference for more advanced concepts.

5. Can Zangwill's EM book be used for practical applications of multilayer R and T coefficient calculations?

Zangwill's EM book primarily focuses on the theoretical foundations of electromagnetic theory and may not provide practical applications of multilayer R and T coefficient calculations. It is important to also consult other resources and consider real-world factors when using these calculations for practical purposes.