Types of Applied Math Grad School?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing applied math in grad school and their uncertainty about which specific branch to focus on. The speaker mentions their love for pure math courses such as linear algebra and number theory, but their dislike for applied courses like probability and differential equations. They also mention their plan to take classes in abstract algebra, real analysis, and other applied math courses. The other person suggests that the speaker should try taking more applied math classes and programming courses to determine if it is the right fit for them. Overall, the speaker is advised to gain more experience and exposure to different types of applied math to find their area of interest.
robertjordan
I was wondering what are the main types of "applied math" I could choose to study in grad school and how I can know which one I would enjoy most?

Math Classes I loved were:
linear algebra, number theory, intro to real analysis, discrete math, intro to abstract alg

Classes I disliked were:
Probability, Diff Eq ( used boyce and diprima so maybe my dislike doesn't reflect a dislike of the subject as a whole, but rather a dislike of the particular class), Calculuses (once again classes focused on rote learning)

Still to take:
Abstract Alg, Real Analysis, and some applied math classes (suggestions?)

So how can I know what type of applied math is right for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you are going for the opposite of what you like. The things you listed that you like are generally pure math (except linear algebra, can be both), and the things you listed as dislikes are all applied courses.

*off topic: awesome name, I am reading the Great Hunt

You really don't have enough experience right now to be able to tell what will be for you and what not. I suggest taking quite some applied math classes such as dynamical systems, PDEs, statistics, modeling, numerical analysis/linear algebra. Taking some programming won't hurt either.

Only by taking those courses (or perhaps self-studying them), can you know whether you will like applied math and what you will specifically like.

Hercuflea said:
*off topic: awesome name, I am reading the Great Hunt

Then you have quite some fun times ahead of you. Personally, I found the first books to be the worst (but still good). It really gets a lot better in the later books.

Related to Types of Applied Math Grad School?

1. What is the difference between pure math and applied math?

Pure math is an abstract and theoretical branch of mathematics that focuses on developing mathematical concepts and theories without any specific real-world application. On the other hand, applied math uses mathematical principles and techniques to solve real-world problems and is often used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

2. What are the common types of applied math graduate programs?

Some common types of applied math graduate programs include computational mathematics, mathematical modeling, financial mathematics, and statistics. These programs may have different focuses and applications, but all involve the use of mathematical principles to solve real-world problems.

3. What are the admissions requirements for applied math graduate programs?

The specific admissions requirements may vary depending on the program and institution, but generally, applicants should have a strong background in mathematics, including courses in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Most programs also require GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose.

4. What can I do with a graduate degree in applied math?

A graduate degree in applied math can open up various career opportunities in industries such as finance, technology, and research. Some common job titles for applied math graduates include data scientist, financial analyst, and operations research analyst. Additionally, a graduate degree can also prepare students for further study in a specific field, such as a Ph.D. in applied math or a related field.

5. What skills are important for success in an applied math graduate program?

To succeed in an applied math graduate program, strong analytical and problem-solving skills are crucial. Additionally, proficiency in programming languages and software tools commonly used in applied math, such as MATLAB and R, can be beneficial. Good communication and collaboration skills are also important for working on interdisciplinary projects and presenting research findings.