Typical Momentum Invariants of a 3-Point Function

In summary, when calculating the ##\beta## functions of a theory, it is necessary to fix the counter terms by setting the "typical invariants" built from the external leg momenta to be of order ##−M^2##. For a 4-point function, these invariants are s, t and u obviously. For a three-point function, the typical invariants are any combination of the incoming momenta, such as ##p^2_1## or ##p_1\cdot p_2## or ##\not{\!p}_1\cdot\not{\!p}_2##, etc. If the external momenta are on shell, then ##p_i^2 = -m_i^
gobbles
According to Peskin, p.414, at the bottom, as part of calculating the ##\beta## functions of a theory, we need to fix the counter terms by setting the "typical invariants" built from the external leg momenta to be of order ##−M^2##. For a 4-point function, these invariants are s, t and u obviously. What are the typical invariants of a three-point function? Are they just any combination of the incoming momenta, like ##p^2_1## or ##p_1\cdot p_2## or ##\not{\!p}_1\cdot\not{\!p}_2##, etc., where ##p_1, p_2## are two momenta on the external legs?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the external momenta are on shell, then ##p_i^2 = -m_i^2##, so our other invariants are the 3 combinations of ##p_i\cdot p_j##. However momentum conservation also let's us write ##p_1\cdot p_2 + p_1\cdot p_3 = m_1^2## and ##p_2\cdot p_1 + p_2\cdot p_3 = m_2^2##, so we can choose just one of them, say ##p_1\cdot p_2## as our parameter for the amplitude.

For the 4pt function, you can use similar relationships to reduce to, say, ##p_1\cdot p_2## and ##p_1\cdot p_4##, which would be related to ##s## and ##t##. ##u## is not independent because ##s+t+u = \sum m_i^2## (up to a sign that I am too lazy to check).

Likes gobbles
Thank you fzero!
If I understand correctly, any Lorentz invariant expressions made of external momentum 4-vectors can be used as the invariant momenta and when setting the renormalization conditions at a certain scale, we just say that all those invariant momenta are of the order of magnitude of that scale, which, in Peskin is ##-M^2##.

Yes, generally any amplitude will itself be a Lorentz invariant, so it will automatically be expressed in terms of Lorentz-invariant quantities. For a scalar field theory, these will all be products of the momenta, though with spinors we have ##\gamma^\mu## to dot into momenta and with vectors we will have polarizations ##\epsilon^\mu## as well. As I described above, there will inevitably be relations among the invariant quantities, so one will typically exploit that if it helps to simplify the mathematical form of an expression.

Peskin indeed determines the renormalization condition at an arbitrary scale ##M##, so we would set all momentum invariants to be ##-M^2## in order to determine the counterterm coefficients.

Related to Typical Momentum Invariants of a 3-Point Function

1. What are typical momentum invariants in a 3-point function?

Typical momentum invariants in a 3-point function refer to the characteristic values that can be derived from the momenta of the particles involved in the interaction. They are usually expressed as combinations of the momenta of the particles, such as their dot product or their total momentum.

2. Why are typical momentum invariants important in studying 3-point functions?

Typical momentum invariants provide valuable information about the dynamics of the particles involved in the interaction. By analyzing these invariants, scientists can better understand the underlying physical processes and make predictions about the behavior of the particles in the system.

3. How are typical momentum invariants calculated?

Typical momentum invariants are calculated using mathematical formulas that involve the momenta of the particles. These formulas are derived from the laws of conservation of energy and momentum, and they can be used to determine the values of the invariants for a given 3-point function.

4. Can typical momentum invariants be used to classify different types of 3-point functions?

Yes, typical momentum invariants can be used to classify different types of 3-point functions. For example, in particle physics, they can be used to distinguish between different types of particle interactions, such as elastic or inelastic scattering.

5. Are there any limitations to using typical momentum invariants in the study of 3-point functions?

While typical momentum invariants can provide valuable insights into the dynamics of 3-point functions, they are not always sufficient to fully describe the system. In some cases, additional factors such as spin or angular momentum may also need to be taken into account for a more complete understanding of the interaction.