Tyrolean traverse - Forces Question

• Thread starter hanlon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, Christian is making a Tyrolean traverse as shown in the figure. That is, he traverses a chasm by stringing a rope between a tree on one side of the chasm and a tree on the opposite side, 22 away. The rope must sag sufficiently so it won't break. Assume the rope can provide a tension force of up to 27 before breaking, and use a "safety factor" of 10 (that is, the rope should only be required to undergo a tension force of 2.7 ) at the center of the Tyrolean traverse.If the vertical component of the force FT is 735N, the distance x that the rope must sag is 2.7x =
hanlon

Homework Statement

Christian is making a Tyrolean traverse as shown in the figure. That is, he traverses a chasm by stringing a rope between a tree on one side of the chasm and a tree on the opposite side, 22 away. The rope must sag sufficiently so it won't break. Assume the rope can provide a tension force of up to 27 before breaking, and use a "safety factor" of 10 (that is, the rope should only be required to undergo a tension force of 2.7 ) at the center of the Tyrolean traverse.

Determine the distance that the rope must sag if it is to be within its recommended safety range and Christian's mass is 75.0kg .
Express your answer using two significant figures.

GIANCOLI.ch04.p31.jpg

Homework Equations

F = ma?

The Attempt at a Solution

tried but failed to understand, there's nothing about this type of question in my textbook or if there is I don't understand the connection between them. Can someone give me some hints?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are you required to find? Also post the picture.

srry forgot about those just editted

copy and paste error srry

75kg

hanlon said:
srry forgot about those just editted

Ok, well since the man hangs at the middle, then can you draw a free body diagram with the forces acting on the rope?

[PLAIN]http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/7074/9999k.png

like that right

ehh Fg should be Force of the dude but w/e

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes like that, but draw if you draw in a dotted line to connect the FT forces and call the the angle made θ. What are the vertical and horizontal components of the forces FT?

thats one of the things I am having trouble with, I don't know how to calculate FT.

Is the vertical component the force of the dude hanging there, and if so what's the horizontal? what is the 27kN for? what's the factor of 10 for?

srry for asking so many questions but I can't seem to wrap my head around how to place the values

hanlon said:
thats one of the things I am having trouble with, I don't know how to calculate FT.

Is the vertical component the force of the dude hanging there, and if so what's the horizontal? what is the 27kN for? what's the factor of 10 for?

srry for asking so many questions but I can't seem to wrap my head around how to place the values

The factor of safety basically changes the value of the tension. Normally you would find for 27kN. But since a factor of safety is used, you design for 2.7kN/10 = 2.7 kN

So the value of tension you want is 2.7kN. This is your FT

In your free body diagram, FT acts at the angle θ right? So what are the vertical forces of the force FT?

vertical force would be (75kg)(9.8m/s^2) = 735N right?

hanlon said:
vertical force would be (75kg)(9.8m/s^2) = 735N right?

Yes that is one force. But remember, the forces FT act at an angle and hence can be split into vertical and horizontal components.

When you do that, then you know the man hanging is in equilibrium, so what should the sum of the forces vertically be?

equal to 0?

hanlon said:
equal to 0?

Right so what is the summation of the forces vertically to get the angle?

2ft = 735n?

hanlon said:
2ft = 735n?

You are leaving out the angle. Draw the angle like I suggested. Do you know how to split a force into components?

ok I get it now, F = 2Tsin(theta) -mg

hanlon said:
ok I get it now, F = 2Tsin(theta) -mg

Right yes!. So since you know F=0 for equilibrium and you want T=2.7 kN, what is the angle θ?

When you get that, it becomes a simple application of trigonometry to find the distance x.

Since he is in the middle, what is the distance from him to either side?

awesome got the answer, thanks for your help

Related to Tyrolean traverse - Forces Question

1. What is a Tyrolean traverse and how does it work?

A Tyrolean traverse is a method for traversing a rope or cable between two points. It involves using a pulley system and a harness to move along the rope, typically over a large gap or obstacle. The user attaches themselves to the pulley, which is then pulled along the rope by the force of gravity or by a person on the other side. This allows the user to move safely and efficiently between two points.

2. What forces are involved in a Tyrolean traverse?

There are two main forces involved in a Tyrolean traverse: tension and gravity. Tension is the force exerted by the rope or cable on the user, and gravity is the force pulling the user down towards the ground. These forces must be carefully balanced to ensure the user's safety and stability while traversing.

3. How is the tension of the rope determined in a Tyrolean traverse?

The tension of the rope in a Tyrolean traverse is determined by the weight of the user and any additional weight being carried, as well as the angle of the rope. The steeper the angle, the higher the tension will be. It is important to carefully calculate and adjust the tension to ensure the rope can support the weight and movement of the user.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when performing a Tyrolean traverse?

Safety is a top priority when performing a Tyrolean traverse. It is important to use a strong and sturdy rope or cable, and to regularly check for any signs of wear or damage. The pulley system should also be inspected and properly attached to the harness. It is also recommended to have a backup safety line in case of any unexpected failures. Proper training and supervision are also crucial for ensuring a safe and successful Tyrolean traverse.

5. What are the benefits of using a Tyrolean traverse?

There are many benefits to using a Tyrolean traverse, including its versatility and efficiency. It can be used to cross large gaps or obstacles that would otherwise be difficult or dangerous to navigate. It also allows for quick and easy movement between two points, making it a popular method for adventure sports and rescue operations. Additionally, the pulley system reduces the amount of physical effort required by the user, making it accessible to people of varying fitness levels.