UAE and Kuwait have such a low tax revenue as percentage of GDP

• News
  • Thread starter jackson6612
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Taxes
In summary: I'm just trying to understand where you are coming from. Thanks.In summary, countries like UAE and Kuwait have a low tax revenue as percentage of GDP or tax to GDP ratio because they have (and sell) oil. Their small populations and low need for public money may contribute to this as well.
jackson6612
Physics news on Phys.org
They have (and sell) oil. See: Alaska.

russ_watters said:
They have (and sell) oil. See: Alaska.

And their populations are fairly small, perhaps the governments doesn't need much money to serve their citizens.

Russ: Do you mean they don't need public money and that's why their direct and indirect taxation is too low?

Thanks for the clarification. That would mean that one has more chance of making money in UAE than in Denmark where taxation is markedly high, though there are other factors to be taken into consideration (but I don't exactly know what those other factors are). Am I right?

No, not really - you're oversimplifying. How much take-home pay you make has a whole lot more to do with you than it does with what government you are under (usually). And those countries are so vastly different that the ways you would go about making money could be vastly different.

The average taxation rate amongst Amazonian natives is approximately 0% of income, yet you would be ill-advised to move in with a native tribe to get in on the sweet deal.

Another more realistic example: many companies in America feel they have trouble competing against European and Canadian companies, because the extra taxes that are paid in those countries to cover healthcare costs is smaller than the private cost that companies pay to cover their employees in America.

Using taxation rate as a way of measuring where you can make the most money is generally a bad strategy

Thanks a lot, everyone, esecially Office Shredder for the latest post.

Those natives have very low GDP and Per capita income. Those Americans companies in a way feel jealous because other companies located outside the US are, perhaps, making more money using less investment etc. Please guide me.

GDP is a good economic indicator to identify how rich a country or country's government is as a whole. But I have observed Per capita income is a very misleading economic indicator to know how much an average national earns. In the case of a country like India where most of the people are poor and most of the wealth is accumulated only among a small group of people Per capita doesn't help. What other economic indicator could replace Per capita in such cases to reflect real picture? Please help.

Thanks a lot.

Median income?

It all depends on what you are looking to measure.

jackson6612 said:
Russ: Do you mean they don't need public money and that's why their direct and indirect taxation is too low?

If Alaska does not require public money, why does Alaska get $131.82 per capita in earmarked federal appropriations where the national average is $27.36? (source: http://www.cagw.org/reports/pig-book/2010/rankings.html ). Note this is not as bad as in recent history; in 2005, Alaska received $984.85 per capita versus a national average of $33.03 per capita!

Sure some federal spending likely scales more with the physical size of the state than the population of the state (e.g. maintenance of roads), but at times Alaska has received obscene amounts of money for questionable projects (e.g. the infamous "bridge to nowhere"). One wonders if Alaska requires this amount of federal support because their state taxes are among the nation's lowest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ygggdrasil said:
If Alaska does not require public money, why does Alaska get $131.82 per capita in earmarked federal appropriations where the national average is $27.36? (source: http://www.cagw.org/reports/pig-book/2010/rankings.html ). Note this is not as bad as in recent history; in 2005, Alaska received $984.85 per capita versus a national average of $33.03 per capita!

Sure some federal spending likely scales more with the physical size of the state than the population of the state (e.g. maintenance of roads), but at times Alaska has received obscene amounts of money for questionable projects (e.g. the infamous "bridge to nowhere"). One wonders if Alaska requires this amount of federal support because their state taxes are among the nation's lowest.

If Alaska upsets you, don't take a look at 2nd place - Hawaii received $326,099,850 compared to Alaska's $92,072,850 - the difference is population.

Alaska has a population of 698,473 and Hawaii has 1,295,178.

Overall, Alaska is on par with IN, TN, AZ, and OK in the "2009 Pork" category. Also, a closer look at population would have indicated that Alaska is on par with D.C., Vermont, Delaware, and Wyoming.

Are you talking about the funding provided by the Federal Government to each state? I don't know how the US system works. If I'm right, then Hawaii's share, $326,099,850, out of the Federal budget isn't that much. Is it?

I believe one of the reasons they have low tax rates in Alaska is that they want people to settle, start business there. Alaska has a low population density as compared to most other states. Am I correct?

jackson6612 said:
I believe one of the reasons they have low tax rates in Alaska is that they want people to settle, start business there. Alaska has a low population density as compared to most other states. Am I correct?

No. You're allowing these other posts to distract you. Russ had it correct; the low tax rates in Alaska and the Emirates are due to revenues from mineral sales and royalties. Government's share of GDP is more or less comparable in Alaska to the other states and in the U.A.E. to other countries. The difference between tax revenue and net revenue is oil and gas profits.

Take a look at this link; Alaska actually pays its citizens a share of its oil revenues, but as a consequence it is one of the most difficult states in which to establish residency, and I'd imagine its much the same in the U.A.E. :

https://www.pfd.state.ak.us/

Kuwait and the UAE have nationalized oil industries. No government in the world taxes itself. There's no reason to. All of the oil revenue already is public money. By the same token, for a while Rome managed not to tax its citizens in Italy at all because the public treasury made so much money off of state-owned gold mines in plundered territories it had conquered.

Office_Shredder said:
The average taxation rate amongst Amazonian natives is approximately 0% of income, yet you would be ill-advised to move in with a native tribe to get in on the sweet deal.

Another more realistic example: many companies in America feel they have trouble competing against European and Canadian companies, because the extra taxes that are paid in those countries to cover healthcare costs is smaller than the private cost that companies pay to cover their employees in America.

Those natives have very low GDP and Per capita income. Those Americans companies in a way feel jealous because other companies located outside the US are, perhaps, making more money using less investment etc. Please guide me.

Related to UAE and Kuwait have such a low tax revenue as percentage of GDP

1. What is the reason for UAE and Kuwait having such a low tax revenue as a percentage of GDP?

The main reason for this is that both UAE and Kuwait have a heavy reliance on oil exports for their GDP. Oil exports make up a significant portion of their economy and therefore, they do not heavily rely on taxes for revenue.

2. How does this low tax revenue affect the countries' budgets?

The low tax revenue does not have a significant impact on their budgets as they have a large amount of oil revenue to compensate for it. However, this can make their budgets vulnerable to fluctuations in oil prices.

3. Are there any other sources of revenue for UAE and Kuwait?

In addition to oil exports, both countries have also invested heavily in industries such as tourism, real estate, and finance. These industries also contribute to their revenue.

4. Do citizens of UAE and Kuwait pay any taxes?

No, citizens in both countries do not pay any income taxes. However, there may be certain fees and charges for certain services, such as electricity and water, that are considered as indirect taxes.

5. How do UAE and Kuwait manage to provide public services with such low tax revenue?

Both countries have significant financial reserves from their oil exports, which they use to fund their public services and infrastructure. They also have a low population, which reduces the strain on their resources.