UFO - time taken to travel to moon

In summary, an astronaut on the moon observes a UFO just above the surface of the moon, 2.0s after it was observed just above the surface of the Earth. From the UFO's reference frame, the time it took to travel from the Earth to the moon is 1.6s. There was some confusion about the time dilation formula, but eventually the correct answer was calculated to be 1.547 seconds. The book rounded the answer up to 1.6s, but it is not a major concern as long as the time dilation formula is understood and applied correctly.
ZedCar
A UFO is observed just above the surface of the Earth moving at a constant velocity. An astronaut on the moon (3.8 x 10^8 m from earth) observes the UFO just above the surface of the moon 2.0s later.

From the UFO's reference frame, how long did it travel from the Earth to the moon?

The answer is given as 1.6s

I was using equation;

Δt = γΔt0

With t0 = 2 seconds

the velocity in γ I calculated to be 1.9x10^8 by using
v=distance/time
v=(3.8x10^8)/2
v=1.9x10^8

But I'm getting an incorrect answer of 2.58 seconds.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZedCar said:
I was using equation;

Δt = γΔt0

With t0 = 2 seconds
You're mixing up Δt & Δt0.

Thanks Doc Al.

Now I'm getting an answer of 1.547 seconds which is a lot better.

I'm not sure why the book has rounded the answer up to 1.6s

ZedCar said:
I'm not sure why the book has rounded the answer up to 1.6s
Beats me. I wouldn't worry about it.

The main thing is to know how and when to apply the time dilation formula.

Thank you :smile:

Related to UFO - time taken to travel to moon

1. How long does it take for a UFO to travel to the moon?

The exact time it takes for a UFO to travel to the moon is unknown, as there is no concrete evidence of UFOs existing. However, if we assume that UFOs possess advanced technology and can travel at the speed of light, it would take approximately 1.3 seconds to reach the moon from Earth.

2. Can UFOs travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, it is impossible for any object, including UFOs, to travel faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely, making it impossible to accelerate further. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that UFOs can travel faster than the speed of light.

3. How do UFOs travel through space?

There is no concrete evidence or scientific explanation for how UFOs travel through space. Some theories suggest that they use advanced propulsion systems, such as anti-gravity or wormholes, while others believe that they have mastered the manipulation of space and time.

4. Can UFOs travel through time?

The concept of time travel is still a subject of debate and has not been proven to be possible. Therefore, it is unknown whether UFOs have the ability to travel through time. However, some UFO sightings have been reported to have strange time distortion effects, which could indicate that they have some control over time.

5. Has there been any evidence of UFOs traveling to the moon?

There is no concrete evidence of UFOs traveling to the moon. Some people believe that the Apollo 11 mission in 1969 encountered UFOs on their way to the moon, but there is no official confirmation or evidence to support this claim. Additionally, NASA's Apollo missions have not reported any sightings of UFOs during their journey to and from the moon.