UIUC or UT austin for computer science

In summary: It will be uncomfortable.In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's admission as a transfer student to two universities for computer science and their desire for insight on which may be better or have advantages and disadvantages. They also inquire about the differences in program approaches and the difficulty of staying and working after graduation. Responses mention the excellence of both schools, the climate and atmosphere differences between UIUC and UT Austin, and the abundance of technology work in Austin. The expert recommends both schools but notes the extreme weather conditions in each location.
piyowashere
Hello guys, i am international student from Peru, i have been admitted as a transfer student to both this universities for computer science. I was wondering if any of you had some insight as to which is better or the advantages and disadvantages of them.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone have any opinions? i would love to hear them1
thanks!

piyowashere said:
Hello guys, i am international student from Peru, i have been admitted as a transfer student to both this universities for computer science. I was wondering if any of you had some insight as to which is better or the advantages and disadvantages of them.

Thank you very much!

If it is for undergraduate, they are both excellent choices. Fantastic schools.

So the question is: do you like cold or warm weather? Small town or large city? You will have a bright career from either place.

Thanks for replying! I have never experienced cold weather but i think i can handle it. Just put on a jacket right?

I am a very calmed person, i don't like going out or partying. do the programs have different approaches?

another question, would it be difficult to stay and work after graduation?

Thanks

piyowashere said:
Thanks for replying! I have never experienced cold weather but i think i can handle it. Just put on a jacket right?

I am a very calmed person, i don't like going out or partying. do the programs have different approaches?

another question, would it be difficult to stay and work after graduation?

Thanks

UIUC isn't just jacket cold. It is Cold. With a capital 'C'. I would ask to see if you know anyone who has lived in a climate like central Illinois. My father went to school there from Australia and it was very hard for him.

I have a friend who went to the UIUC CS program and she very much enjoyed it. Both UIUC and UT are top-tier schools. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

As far as staying for work, I don't know how hard it is to get a visa. However, I do know there is much, much more technology work in the Austin, TX area. It is one of the technology centers of the USA. If you go to UIUC you will have to move away almost certainly.

I can't recommend CS @ UIUC highly enough. Having said that, UT Austin is fantastic as well. UIUC will get extremely cold in the winter. It will be uncomfortable. UT Austin will get extremely hot during the summer.

FAQ: UIUC or UT austin for computer science

1. Which school has a better reputation for computer science: UIUC or UT Austin?

Both UIUC and UT Austin have strong reputations for computer science. UIUC is ranked #5 and UT Austin is ranked #8 in the US News & World Report's 2021 Best Computer Science Programs rankings. Both schools have renowned faculty and a history of producing successful graduates in the field of computer science.

2. What are the differences between the computer science programs at UIUC and UT Austin?

While both schools offer strong computer science programs, there are some key differences. UIUC's program is known for its focus on theoretical computer science and research opportunities, while UT Austin's program has a stronger emphasis on hands-on learning and programming skills. UT Austin also offers a unique track for students interested in combining computer science with another field, such as business or biology.

3. Which school has a better job placement rate for computer science graduates?

Both schools have high job placement rates for computer science graduates. According to their respective websites, UIUC's computer science graduates have an average starting salary of $102,000 and 93% of graduates have a job offer within 6 months of graduation. UT Austin's computer science graduates have an average starting salary of $107,000 and 95% of graduates have a job offer within 3 months of graduation.

4. How are the computer science facilities and resources at UIUC and UT Austin?

Both schools have state-of-the-art facilities and resources for computer science students. UIUC has a dedicated computer science building, Siebel Center for Computer Science, which houses classrooms, labs, and research facilities. UT Austin's computer science building, the Bill and Melinda Gates Computer Science Complex, also has classrooms, labs, and research facilities. Both schools also have extensive online resources, such as virtual labs and research databases, for students to utilize.

5. Which school has a better computer science curriculum?

Both schools have rigorous and comprehensive computer science curriculums. UIUC's program requires students to take courses in areas such as algorithms, programming languages, and computer architecture, while also giving students the opportunity to specialize in a specific area of computer science. UT Austin's program also has a strong foundation in computer science principles, with a focus on software engineering and data structures. Ultimately, the best curriculum for you will depend on your specific interests and career goals.