UN Online volunteers - anyone?

• Thread starter Pepper Mint
  • Start date
In summary, if I can find a job that I can work online for free, and it is with a charity organization, that would be perfect.Hi Pepper Mint:Thank you for your email. I'm sorry to hear that you're not interested in working with a charity organization, but I'm glad you mentioned it. There are many other opportunities out there for people who want to help out in the IT field. Thanks for considering them!
Pepper Mint
I would like to apply for a job that I don't need to get paid.
I used to apply for projects in UN Online Volunteers website but they ignored my resume.
Do you know of any similar charity organizations I can contribute some of my little IT related effort to ? I can work the whole week for 2-3 hours each day, after I finish my paid job during workdays, at night or early in the morning. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Pepper Mint:

I am not sure if this suggestion will be useful, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to post it.

Many public libraries would welcome IT volunteer help. It probably would involve face-to-face interactions, rather than online, but there is likely to be a public library near you where you might discuss a possible fit of your skills and schedule with their needs.

I have also emailed a friend who is active in FOSS (Free Open Source Software) to ask him for ideas, but I haven't received a response yet.

Good luck.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes Pepper Mint
Pepper Mint said:
I would like to apply for a job that I don't need to get paid.
I used to apply for projects in UN Online Volunteers website but they ignored my resume.
Do you know of any similar charity organizations I can contribute some of my little IT related effort to ? I can work the whole week for 2-3 hours each day, after I finish my paid job during workdays, at night or early in the morning. Thank you.
Where are you physically? What country, state/province, etc.?

berkeman said:
Where are you physically? What country, state/province, etc.?
You and I are only a click away if we are both online connected. I would want a job that I can work online remotely for free to help IT projects that service people who are less fortunate than others.
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Pepper Mint:

I am not sure if this suggestion will be useful, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to post it.

Many public libraries would welcome IT volunteer help. It probably would involve face-to-face interactions, rather than online, but there is likely to be a public library near you where you might discuss a possible fit of your skills and schedule with their needs.

I have also emailed a friend who is active in FOSS (Free Open Source Software) to ask him for ideas, but I haven't received a response yet.

Good luck.

Regards,
Buzz
Thank you Buzz a lot, I am not trying to look for one to mainly gain experience in coding and software development. So I prefer not to work on FOSS even if I might have a chance.

Hi @Pepper Mint:

I sent you a followup message as a conversation. Please let me know if you received it.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes Pepper Mint
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi @Pepper Mint:

I sent you a followup message as a conversation. Please let me know if you received it.

Regards,
Buzz
Thank you Buzz for shedding light on things I should consider, very interesting !

FAQ: UN Online volunteers - anyone?

1. What is the purpose of UN Online volunteers?

The purpose of UN Online volunteers is to provide a platform for individuals to engage in volunteer work remotely for the United Nations. This enables volunteers to contribute their skills and time to support UN initiatives and projects around the world.

2. Who can become a UN Online volunteer?

Anyone can become a UN Online volunteer, as long as they have access to a computer and internet connection. There are no age, nationality, or education requirements. The only requirement is a willingness to volunteer and contribute to the UN's mission.

3. What kind of tasks can UN Online volunteers do?

UN Online volunteers can engage in a variety of tasks, depending on their skills and interests. Some common tasks include research, translation, social media management, data entry, and graphic design. These tasks support various UN agencies, such as the World Health Organization, UNICEF, and the United Nations Development Programme.

4. How much time commitment is required for UN Online volunteering?

UN Online volunteering is flexible, and volunteers can choose the amount of time they want to commit. Some tasks may only require a few hours per week, while others may require more time. The duration of volunteer assignments can also vary, from a few weeks to several months.

5. Is there any cost associated with being a UN Online volunteer?

No, there is no cost associated with being a UN Online volunteer. All tasks and assignments are unpaid, and volunteers are not required to pay any fees to participate. However, volunteers are responsible for their own internet and computer expenses.

Back