Uncertainties of a group of results

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of measuring the time period of a simple pendulum. The individual has obtained a table with 8 different lengths of the pendulum and has measured the time for 10 oscillations for each length, repeating the measurement twice. From this, they have calculated the average time for 10 oscillations and divided it to find the average time period of one oscillation. They have also plotted a graph of the time period squared against the length. The individual is struggling with determining the uncertainty of their results, as they have obtained a high percentage for the uncertainty when using the average time period and a much lower percentage when using the spread of results. They are also unsure whether to consider the uncertainty in the measurement of
Tangeton
I got a table for a simple pendulum. I have 8 lengths, from 0.20m going up by 0.01 to 0.27. For each length, I have time for 10 oscillations (10T) that I've measured, and I have repeated the measurement twice for each length. Then I got the average time for 10T. I divided this average to give me an average for time period of one oscillation, T. I've plotted a graph of T2 against L, and so I also worked out T2 for each lengths' period time, T.

I am stuck on the uncertainty. I have tired tried to work it out but when I do it for T I get 6.77%, and I do it for the spread of my results for T, but when I rise it to the power of 2 to get T2 its 45.89%. I can't have such a huge uncertainty. And also I am worried because it is uncertainty in measurement but I can firmly say that I didn't measure T but 10T, and so should I do the uncertainty for average 10T instead?

What uncertainty would be the best to put down on my write up?

I'm an A Level physics student.

Thank you for all your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
No way one can untangle this. 46 is the square of 6.8, but that's not the way errors propagate!
Show your work.

FAQ: Uncertainties of a group of results

1. What is the definition of uncertainties in a group of results?

Uncertainties in a group of results refer to the range of values that may be present in a set of data, due to variations or errors in the measurements or calculations.

2. How are uncertainties calculated in a group of results?

Uncertainties are typically calculated using statistical methods, such as standard deviation or standard error, which take into account the variability of the data points in a set.

3. How do uncertainties affect the overall reliability of a group of results?

Uncertainties can significantly impact the reliability of a group of results, as they can indicate the degree of accuracy and precision in the data. The larger the uncertainties, the less reliable the results may be.

4. Can uncertainties be reduced in a group of results?

Yes, uncertainties can be reduced by using more precise measurement techniques, increasing the sample size, or repeating the measurements multiple times and taking the average.

5. What are some common sources of uncertainties in a group of results?

Some common sources of uncertainties in a group of results include measurement errors, limitations of the measurement equipment, and variations in environmental conditions during the experiment.

Back