Uncertainty about Uncertainty Redux

• Thread starter Archfiend0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uncertainty
In summary, the speaker's problem with quantum mechanics is that it does not take into account the uncertainty principle, which states that we cannot measure both the position and momentum of a particle accurately. The speaker is looking for someone to discuss these issues with him, someone who understands quantum mechanics but is open-minded and patient.
@Upisoft:

You are of course correct, but say we find an effect QM right now can't predict, but string theory in ONE of it's forms (which I know nothing about) can. I think in that case adopting a worldview of strings makes sense, as if it is more fundamental.

But that is not the case, and right now we see that QM is correct and even if not completely right, some of its aspects will always remain, like HUP.

You could always find a better-prettier-more elegant theory and adopt its worldview, but of course not really, QM is kind of elegant, compared to crazy flying triangles worldview, or whatever.

Well, now you are running afoul of Bell. Or at least coming very close.

I don't mean hidden variables! I mean unintuitive-unapproachable-behavior.

Physics news on Phys.org
dx said:
Realizing the logical presuppositions for the use of the concepts of momentum and position in our description of reality is what the uncertainty relation is about.

I wouldn't go that far. Different physicists may have different presuppositions depending on their vied whether QM is an ultimate description or only an approximate one, good, perhaps, for all practical purposes today, but not necessarily tomorrow.