Uncertainty Help: Homework Statement on Measuring a Projectile's Range

• Thread starter flyflyfly37
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uncertainty
In summary, the students attempted to solve for the range as a function of the initial velocity, but were unable to get the result right. They found the range to be 137cm and 152cm, but the relative error was still 2.7%.
flyflyfly37

Homework Statement

Students decide to measure a projectile's range for an initial projectile angle of 45°. This angle has many advantages, not the least being that since the expression for the range is proportional to the sine of twice this angle, errors in determining the angle do not contribute to errors in the range.

As before, they make measurements to determine the initial speed. This time they find the initial speed to be 3.76 m/s with a relative uncertainty of 2.7%.

What is the uncertainty in the predicted range? [Remember that you can treat the uncertainty in the sin(2) factor as zero since it contributes no errors at 45°.]

_____ cm

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the range to be 144cm and multiplied that by 2.7% to get 3.89 cm. But that's apparently not the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your only problem is that 2.7% is the uncertainty of the velocity, which is going to be different from the uncertainty of the range. Solve for range in terms of the velocity, and then essentially you can replace the velocity with the uncertainty to find the range's error.

I also tried that.

2.7% of 3.76 is 0.10, so the two velocities are 3.66 and 3.86.
I found the respective ranges, 137cm and 152cm. subtracted the two to get 15cm then divided by 2 to find the uncertainty, which was 7.5. Plugged it in, still not right. Am i doing things wrong?

Are you sure it's absolute uncertainty rather than relative uncertainty like you have for the velocity? Otherwise, I'd guess it's a rounding error. Could you also write down an expression for the range as a function of the initial velocity, without anything plugged in? I'll show you a better way to solve it.

flyflyfly37 said:
I also tried that.

2.7% of 3.76 is 0.10, so the two velocities are 3.66 and 3.86.
I found the respective ranges, 137cm and 152cm. subtracted the two to get 15cm then divided by 2 to find the uncertainty, which was 7.5. Plugged it in, still not right. Am i doing things wrong?
You tried assuming the relative uncertainty in range was also 2.7%. You tried the absolute error version of the same. Then you tried the absolute error worked out from your equation, so making no assumptions, and you got a different result. This shows your 2.7% assumption was wrong.
That leaves one combination you haven't tried.

haruspex said:
You tried assuming the relative uncertainty in range was also 2.7%. You tried the absolute error version of the same. Then you tried the absolute error worked out from your equation, so making no assumptions, and you got a different result. This shows your 2.7% assumption was wrong.
That leaves one combination you haven't tried.

Thanks, but I'm little bit confused what you meant.

flyflyfly37 said:
Thanks, but I'm little bit confused what you meant.
Using the equation, what do you get for the relative error?

Likes 1 person

Related to Uncertainty Help: Homework Statement on Measuring a Projectile's Range

1. What is uncertainty in measurement?

Uncertainty in measurement refers to the potential error or variation in a measurement, due to limitations in the measuring instrument or technique. It is a measure of the lack of exactness or confidence in a particular measurement.

2. How is uncertainty calculated?

Uncertainty is typically calculated by estimating the smallest possible division on the measuring instrument, and then dividing it by 2. This is known as the instrument's resolution. The uncertainty is then expressed as a percentage of the measured value.

3. What factors contribute to uncertainty in measuring a projectile's range?

There are several factors that can contribute to uncertainty in measuring a projectile's range. These include variations in the initial velocity, external factors such as wind or air resistance, and limitations in the measuring instrument's accuracy and precision.

4. How can uncertainty in measurement be reduced?

Uncertainty in measurement can be reduced by using more precise and accurate measuring instruments, taking multiple measurements and calculating an average, and minimizing external factors that may affect the measurement. Calibration and proper technique can also help reduce uncertainty.

5. Why is it important to consider uncertainty in scientific measurements?

Considering uncertainty in scientific measurements is important because it allows us to understand the limitations and potential errors in our data. It also helps us to compare and analyze results accurately, and to make informed decisions based on the reliability of the data. Understanding uncertainty is crucial in ensuring the validity and credibility of scientific research.