Uncertainty Help: Working Out Approx % Error in Specific Heat Capacity

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the approximate percentage error in the value of specific heat capacity, and suggests using the formula for uncertainty on a measured quantity to calculate it. The conversation also mentions the need to get the total uncertainty first before applying the formula.
spoony33
I have this question for homework and I'm well stuck!

The specific heat capacity of a liquid was found by heating a measures quantity of the liquid for a certain length of time. The following results were obtained.
Power of heater: ( 50.0 ± 0.5)W
Mass of liquid: (200 ± 10)g
Time of heating: (600 ± 1)s
Temperature rise: (50.0 ± 0.5)°C

I managed to get the percentage error in each reading but i just don't know how to work out the approximate percentage error in the value of specific heat capacity!

A) What will the approximate percentage error in the value of specific heat capacity?
B) Suggest one way in which to reduce the percentage error obtained for the specific heat capacity?

I managed to work out this but i don't know how to work out the approximate percentage error in the value of specific heat capacity?
The percentage of uncertainty of each is:
Power of heater:
(±0.5)/50.0 = ± 1%

Mass of liquid
(±10)/200 = ± 5%

Time of heating:
(±1)/600 = ±0.167 %

Temperature Rise:
(±.5)/50.0 = ± 1%

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Nah, you have to get the total uncertainty first.

So Q=mcT

I don't remember how the uncertainties propagate for products, but it's something you can look up, or if you know partial derivatives you can use the "master formula."

For products, the relative error on the measured quantity is equal to the sum of the relative errors. So if

[tex] z=x\cdot y [/tex]

then

[tex]\frac{\Delta z}{z}=\frac{\Delta x}{x}+\frac{\Delta y}{y}[/tex]

A more general approach is the formula for uncertainty on a measured quatity f(x,y). The absolute error in f is given by

[tex] \Delta f=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \Delta x+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \Delta y [/tex]

and the standard deviation is given by

[tex] \sigma _f=\sqrt{(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \Delta x)^2+(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \Delta y)^2} [/tex]

If you plug [tex]f(x,y)=x \cdot y [/tex] into the formula for absolute uncertainty and rearrange a little, you'll notice that it reduces to the first formule for absolute error for products.

FAQ: Uncertainty Help: Working Out Approx % Error in Specific Heat Capacity

What is uncertainty in the context of specific heat capacity?

Uncertainty refers to the range of possible values for a measurement or calculation, due to limitations in the precision and accuracy of the instruments and techniques used. In the case of specific heat capacity, uncertainty reflects the potential error in determining the exact value of this physical property.

How is uncertainty calculated for specific heat capacity?

Uncertainty in specific heat capacity can be calculated using the formula: % Uncertainty = (Absolute Uncertainty / Measured Value) x 100%. Absolute uncertainty is typically determined by the precision of the measuring instrument, while the measured value is obtained through experimentation or calculation.

What factors can contribute to uncertainty in determining specific heat capacity?

There are several factors that can contribute to uncertainty in determining specific heat capacity, including limitations in the precision and accuracy of the measuring instrument, variations in the experimental conditions, and human error during measurements or calculations.

Why is it important to consider uncertainty in specific heat capacity?

Considering uncertainty in specific heat capacity is important because it provides a measure of the reliability and accuracy of the results. It also allows for a better understanding of the limitations of the measurement or calculation and helps to determine the appropriate level of confidence in the obtained value.

How can uncertainty in specific heat capacity be reduced?

Uncertainty in specific heat capacity can be reduced by using more precise measuring instruments, conducting multiple trials and taking the average, controlling for external factors that may affect the results, and following proper experimental techniques and protocols.