Uncertainty of planetary orbital period

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding data on the error bars of orbital periods of planets. One source estimates the uncertainty of Jupiter to be "1 arcsec per 250 years" but this cannot be confirmed. The conversation suggests looking in journal papers for precise planetary-ephemeris efforts, specifically mentioning JPL's DE series and IMCCE's INPOP ones. It is suggested to search for these papers on abstract services or article-hosting services such as Google Scholar or arXiv.org.
Jack21222
I've been searching all over the place, and I cannot find any data showing the error bars of orbital periods of planets. Once source estimates the uncertainty of Jupiter to be "1 arcsec per 250 years" but I cannot find anything to back this up.

Does anybody have any hints as to where I should be looking?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Jack, this is a great question, I have been wondering exactly the same thing. I see no one here replied, but did you find this data somewhere else?

FAQ: Uncertainty of planetary orbital period

1. What is "uncertainty of planetary orbital period"?

The uncertainty of planetary orbital period refers to the amount of variation or potential error in the estimated time it takes for a planet to complete one orbit around its star. This can be affected by factors such as gravitational interactions with other planets, atmospheric drag, and measurement errors.

2. How is the uncertainty of planetary orbital period calculated?

The uncertainty of planetary orbital period is typically calculated through a combination of observational data and mathematical models. Scientists use measurements of a planet's position and velocity over time to estimate its orbital period, and then apply statistical methods to determine the level of uncertainty in this calculation.

3. Why is understanding the uncertainty of planetary orbital period important?

Having a clear understanding of the uncertainty of planetary orbital period is crucial for accurately predicting the motion of planets and other celestial bodies. It also allows scientists to identify and account for any potential sources of error in their calculations, leading to more precise and reliable data.

4. Can the uncertainty of planetary orbital period change over time?

Yes, the uncertainty of planetary orbital period can change over time due to a variety of factors. For example, as our technology and observational techniques improve, we may be able to gather more precise data and reduce the uncertainty in our calculations. Additionally, external influences such as gravitational perturbations from other planets can also affect the uncertainty of a planet's orbital period.

5. How does the uncertainty of planetary orbital period impact our understanding of the solar system?

The uncertainty of planetary orbital period plays a significant role in our understanding of the solar system and its dynamics. By accurately accounting for this uncertainty, scientists are able to make more accurate predictions and models of the motion of planets, which can help us understand the formation and evolution of our solar system.

Back