Uncertainty Relation between Lx and Ly

In summary: No, there is no explicit requirement, but the more precise the measurements, the closer the two uncertainties will be to each other.
*FaerieLight*
There is an uncertainty relation between the x component and the y component of the angular momentum L of a particle, because [Lx, Ly] = i[itex]\hbar[/itex]Lz which is not 0.

But what happens when Lz does equal 0? Would we in principle be able to measure both the x and y components of the angular momentum with no uncertainty? What kind of state would this describe?

I've searched my textbooks and the web for an answer to this question, but I haven't found any, so maybe this is actually something really obvious which I'm not seeing! Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you know Lz = 0? You need to measure it, and now you have two other uncertainty relations to contend with. This only works if Lx = Ly = Lz = 0.

Oh, I see! Thanks!

Let's define

[tex]\Delta_A = \sqrt{\langle A^2\rangle - \langle A\rangle^2}[/tex]

Then one can derive

[tex]\Delta_A\,\Delta_B \ge \frac{1}{2} \left| \langle [A,B]\rangle \right|[/tex]

Now you can use this relation by setting A=Lx, B=Ly. But then the expectation value on the r.h.s. means that you have to chose a certain state for which it has to be evaluated. Chosing an eigenstate |m> you get

[tex]\Delta_{L_x}\,\Delta_{L_y} \ge \frac{1}{2} \left| \langle m| {L_z}|m\rangle \right| = \frac{m}{2}[/tex]

You may want to have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle#Robertson-Schr.C3.B6dinger_uncertainty_relations

Last edited:
Vanadium 50 said:
How do you know Lz = 0? You need to measure it, and now you have two other uncertainty relations to contend with. This only works if Lx = Ly = Lz = 0.

But those other relations involve (ΔL_x)*(ΔL_z) and (ΔL_y)*(ΔL_z)? What if ΔL_z = 0?

The general Heisenberg-Robertson uncertainty relation is
[tex]\Delta A \Delta B \geq \frac{1}{2} \left |\langle \psi|[\hat{A},\hat{B}] \psi \rangle \right|[/tex]
here [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are the observables and [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{B}[/itex] their reprsenting self-adjoint operator. [itex]\Delta A[/itex] and [itex]\Delta B[/itex] are the standard deviations of the observables and [itex]|\psi \rangle[/itex] represents the (pure) state of the system. The uncertainty relation also holds for mixed states, of course, but for the principle it's enough to consider pure states.

For [itex]A=L_x[/itex] and [itex]B=L_y[/itex] you have [itex][\hat{L}_x,\hat{L_y}]=\mathrm{i} \hbar \hat{L}_z[/itex]. This gives
[tex]\Delta L_x \Delta L_y \geq \frac{\hbar}{2} \left |\langle \psi|\hat{L}_z| \psi \rangle \right|.[/tex]

vanhees71 said:
The general Heisenberg-Robertson uncertainty relation is
[tex]\Delta A \Delta B \geq \frac{1}{2} \left |\langle \psi|[\hat{A},\hat{B}] \psi \rangle \right|[/tex]
here [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are the observables and [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{B}[/itex] their reprsenting self-adjoint operator. [itex]\Delta A[/itex] and [itex]\Delta B[/itex] are the standard deviations of the observables and [itex]|\psi \rangle[/itex] represents the (pure) state of the system. The uncertainty relation also holds for mixed states, of course, but for the principle it's enough to consider pure states.

For [itex]A=L_x[/itex] and [itex]B=L_y[/itex] you have [itex][\hat{L}_x,\hat{L_y}]=\mathrm{i} \hbar \hat{L}_z[/itex]. This gives
[tex]\Delta L_x \Delta L_y \geq \frac{\hbar}{2} \left |\langle \psi|\hat{L}_z| \psi \rangle \right|.[/tex]

Right. But I still have a problem with this: If either of the components is exactly zero, say L_z = 0;
then we get the relations

(ΔLx)(ΔLy) >= 0
(ΔLy)(ΔLz) >= h\2*E(Lx)

and so on. My problem is the second inequality, when ΔLz = 0.

How do you know Lz=0 without measuring it?

why is 0 = 0 a problem?

Of course, if the state is such that [itex]\langle L_z \rangle=0[/itex], then the uncertainty relation becomes trivial, but it's still a true relation. There is no problem!

tom.stoer said:
why is 0 = 0 a problem?

Right, good point.. Thanks!

vanhees71 said:
Of course, if the state is such that [itex]\langle L_z \rangle=0[/itex], then the uncertainty relation becomes trivial, but it's still a true relation. There is no problem!

OK, but what is the minimum requirement on the uncertainties of Lx and Ly in this case (I mean if we measure Lz = 0, L^2 != 0). Seems like there should be one?

Consider the first eigenfunction of the hydrogen Hamiltonian. It is spherically symmetric, so all three angular momentum operators have the same eigenvalue ##0##.

Yes, but how about a simultaneous eigenfunction for the operators L^2 and Lz, such that Lz = 0 and L^2 != 0. In this case Ly and Lx must be uncertain(?), so I'm wondering if there's some relation that sets a limit for how precisely these can be determined.

Zarquon said:
. In this case Ly and Lx must be uncertain(?), so I'm wondering if there's some relation that sets a limit for how precisely these can be determined.

[Lx, Lz] = iLy

But is there an explicit requirement on ΔLx and ΔLy? I still don't get it.

FAQ: Uncertainty Relation between Lx and Ly

1. What is the Uncertainty Relation between Lx and Ly?

The Uncertainty Relation between Lx and Ly, also known as the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa.

2. How is the Uncertainty Relation between Lx and Ly calculated?

The Uncertainty Relation between Lx and Ly is calculated by taking the product of the uncertainties in position (Δx) and momentum (Δp) and ensuring that it is greater than or equal to the reduced Planck's constant (ħ).

3. What is the significance of the Uncertainty Relation between Lx and Ly?

The Uncertainty Relation between Lx and Ly has significant implications in the field of quantum mechanics, as it shows that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain physical properties of a particle can be measured simultaneously. It also challenges the classical notion of determinism, as it suggests that some properties of particles cannot be precisely determined at the same time.

4. Can the Uncertainty Relation between Lx and Ly be violated?

No, the Uncertainty Relation between Lx and Ly is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has been supported by numerous experimental studies. Attempts to violate this principle have not been successful.

5. How does the Uncertainty Relation between Lx and Ly apply to real-life situations?

The Uncertainty Relation between Lx and Ly applies to all particles, including those in everyday objects. However, the effects of this principle are only noticeable at the microscopic level, such as in the behavior of subatomic particles. In our daily lives, the uncertainty described by this principle is too small to be observed.

Back