unclear how to appeal a strike

arivero
Gold Member
Well I got my second strike in some weeks, and this is one I do not agree with. I had cut part of the comment to paste it in twitter, there was an extra line linking to the 2004 thread and a final one commenting on Lubos et al conjecture, but well, this is the surviving
thing. I do not see a "new theory" here.
1728414560502.png

It tells that:
  • A particle orbiting gravitationally near the Compton Length of a mass "M" sweeps about one Planck area each Planck time. This is Kepler, as discussed in the 2004 thread.
  • A particle orbiting via electrostatic charge would sweep faster, because the coupling is stronger than gravity, and it can not sweep slower because it should orbit inside the Compton Length
  • A particle with an electric coupling weaker than gravity would sweep slower.
So the "speculation" is, what? that it could be another argument _for_ (not even against) the weak gravity conjecture? Or the misuse of "Compton horizon" because I can not spell zitterbewegung (wait, I did it correctly!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah now I see that the Similar threads listing notes that we already did some discuss of the same when Smolin went into emergence; I had forgotten about it. It was not the context of the Weak Gravity Conjecture.

A single point is nothing to worry about. They generally expire (check your user page under warnings for the date). The mentors will not discuss the issue in public.

• Disciplinary Action:
    A member may be issued either a notice or an infraction if deemed warranted by an admin or mentor (usually from guideline non-compliance). Infractions range from 1 to 10 "points", depending on the severity of the violation; notices carry no points. If a member accrues 8 or more infraction points, he or she will be automatically banned from Physics Forums for a period of 10 days. If a member receives any infraction after having returned from a temporary ban, that member will then be banned permanently. Obvious, incorrigible spamming or trouble-making will be met with a permanent ban.
  • Appealing an Infraction:
    If you feel an infraction is undeserved you may click the "Report" button on the infraction notice and explain why you do not feel the infraction was deserved. This will bring the issue before the rest of the Mentors who will discuss the matter internally and respond appropriately, which may include an action or message which is not visible to you. The Mentor's decisions are final. Hostility, insults, or other rule violations in the Report may result in additional infractions.

surely a bug then? It was marked as "expires: Never" which well, seems undeserved to me.

1728415955381.png

arivero said:
surely a bug then? It was marked as "expires: Never" which well, seems undeserved to me.
When an infraction-worthy behavior is repeated, we will generally start marking new infractions as non-expiring, since the expiring one(s) have not been working.

In general, if you disagree with an infraction, the first action should be to PM/DM the Mentor who gave you the infraction to discuss it.

I see Greg will be sending you a DM, so probably best to wait for that.

yep, I think the non-expiring is the thing I was surprising. I will comment internally with Greg and the mentor now; here just let me remark that it could be better to clarify this, both how to disagree with an infraction, and the existence of non expiring bans.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
arivero said:
it could be better to clarify this, both how to disagree with an infraction,
From the PF Rules (under INFO at the top of the page):
Greg Bernhardt said:
Appealing an Infraction:
If you feel an infraction is undeserved you may click the "Report" button on the infraction notice and explain why you do not feel the infraction was deserved. This will bring the issue before the rest of the Mentors who will discuss the matter internally and respond appropriately, which may include an action or message which is not visible to you. The Mentor's decisions are final.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Ah, I see. I apologize, I didn't notice it referred to the standard report button of each message. Somehow I looked for a special button.

Likes Greg Bernhardt