Uncovering Projectile Motion Properties

In summary, a projectile with unknown initial velocity lands 19.8 s later on the side of a hill, 2710 m away horizontally and 463 m vertically above its starting point. To determine the initial velocity, we can use the 2D kinematics equations and solve for the vertical and horizontal components. The maximum height above the launch point can be found by finding the time when the vertical component of velocity is 0. As it hits the hill, the projectile has a certain speed and direction, which can be determined from the components of velocity at t = 19.8s.
creativeone
A projectile, fired with unknown initial velocity, lands 19.8 s later on the side of a hill, 2710 m away horizontally and 463 m vertically above its starting point. (Ignore any effects due to air resistance.)

(a) What is the vertical component of its initial velocity?
(b) What is the horizontal component of its initial velocity?
(c) What was its maximum height above its launch point?
(d) As it hit the hill, what speed did it have and what angle did its velocity make with the vertical?

Known 2D kinematics equations

3. How would you do this, I have no idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just like the baseball problem you did.
Start with the y component.
[itex] y = y_0 + v_y t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2 [/itex]

Assuming [itex] y_0 = 0 [/itex]
[itex] y(t=19.8 s) = 463 m = v_y (19.8s) + \frac{1}{2} (-9.8 m/s) (19.8s)^2 [/itex]

Part b is similar.

Part c. Find the time when v_y = 0.

Part d. From the components of velocity at t = 19.8s, what is the speed? What is the direction?

Related to Uncovering Projectile Motion Properties

1. How can I generate ideas for starting a project?

One way to generate ideas is to gather information and inspiration from various sources such as research papers, articles, books, and talking to experts in the field. Brainstorming with a team or engaging in creative exercises can also help generate ideas.

2. What are the essential components of a project plan?

A project plan should include a clear objective, a realistic timeline, a budget, a team structure, and a risk management plan. It should also outline the necessary resources and milestones for the project.

3. How do I choose the right methodology for my project?

The choice of methodology depends on various factors such as the project scope, team size, available resources, and project goals. Some commonly used methodologies include Agile, Waterfall, and Lean. It's essential to evaluate each methodology's strengths and weaknesses before deciding on the best fit for your project.

4. How do I manage the project effectively?

Effective project management involves setting clear goals, communicating with the team regularly, and tracking progress. It's crucial to establish a system for monitoring and addressing any issues that may arise during the project. Utilizing project management tools and techniques can also help improve efficiency and productivity.

5. How can I stay motivated and focused during the project?

It's essential to have a clear understanding of the project's purpose and its potential impact. Setting achievable goals and celebrating small milestones can help maintain motivation. Taking breaks, practicing self-care, and seeking support from team members can also help improve focus and productivity.

Back