Uncovering the Error in Finding the Mobius Transformation for a Circle Mapping

In summary, the problem statement is incorrect and the solution is to invert the Mobius transformation.
mimsy57
I'm looking for the error in my understanding here, not help with the problem itself. I'm making some kind of mistake, so I've listed out everything I think I know, and I'm hoping someone can either tell me what I'm misunderstanding, or tell me there is an error in the problem statement:

Problem Statement: find the Mobius transformation taking the circle |z|=1 to |z+2|=1 such that T(-1)=-3 and T(i)=-1.

What I think:

*Both the circle and its image have radius 1, with the first centered at the origin and the second at -2.

*The additional points we are given mappings for are -1 and i, which are the endpoints to an arc of a quarter circle. These are mapping to -3 and -1 which are the bounds for the half circle. This implies the mapping is going around twice for once around the circle being mapped, which would imply it is not a bijection, and Mobius transformations are bijections.

Physics news on Phys.org
mimsy57 said:
I'm looking for the error in my understanding here, not help with the problem itself. I'm making some kind of mistake, so I've listed out everything I think I know, and I'm hoping someone can either tell me what I'm misunderstanding, or tell me there is an error in the problem statement:

Problem Statement: find the Mobius transformation taking the circle |z|=1 to |z+2|=1 such that T(-1)=-3 and T(i)=-1.

What I think:

*Both the circle and its image have radius 1, with the first centered at the origin and the second at -2.

*The additional points we are given mappings for are -1 and i, which are the endpoints to an arc of a quarter circle. These are mapping to -3 and -1 which are the bounds for the half circle. This implies the mapping is going around twice for once around the circle being mapped, which would imply it is not a bijection, and Mobius transformations are bijections.

Sure you can do it. You can map any three points in the complex plane to any other three points with a Mobius transformation, right? Just pick a third point on each of the two circles and that will fix a transformation. I haven't tried to visualize it in terms of dilations, rotations, etc.

Yes about the three points. My problem isn't so much with that, I'm okay calculating it, I'm just bothered by how it can work.

If I translate a circle, rotate a circle, or dilate a circle, or invert a circle, I don't see how points on a quarter arc could move to a half arc. Does my visualization problem make sense? I have to be understanding something incorrectly. Maybe inversion since the other three are so simple to visualize.

I tried finding examples, but in every example, the points stay in the same relative (for lack of a better word) location

mimsy57 said:
Yes about the three points. My problem isn't so much with that, I'm okay calculating it, I'm just bothered by how it can work.

If I translate a circle, rotate a circle, or dilate a circle, or invert a circle, I don't see how points on a quarter arc could move to a half arc. Does my visualization problem make sense? I have to be understanding something incorrectly. Maybe inversion since the other three are so simple to visualize.

I tried finding examples, but in every example, the points stay in the same relative (for lack of a better word) location

Yes, it's inversions. Replace |z+2|=1 with, say |z+100|=99. It should be visually clear that most of the points on the circle map to points near 0. z=(-1) and points nearby don't. It stretches angles on the circle. It's a good thing to visualize, keep it up!

Last edited:
Thanks!

Related to Uncovering the Error in Finding the Mobius Transformation for a Circle Mapping

1. What is a Mobius transformation?

A Mobius transformation is a type of function in complex analysis that maps points on the complex plane to other points on the complex plane. It is defined by the formula f(z) = (az + b)/(cz + d), where a, b, c, and d are complex numbers and z is a complex variable.

2. How is a Mobius transformation different from other types of transformations?

A Mobius transformation is unique because it preserves the shape of circles and lines on the complex plane. This property is known as conformality. Other types of transformations, such as linear transformations, do not necessarily preserve the shape of circles and lines.

3. What is the significance of finding a Mobius transformation?

Finding a Mobius transformation is important in the field of complex analysis because it allows for the transformation of complex functions into simpler forms. This can be useful in solving complex mathematical problems and in the study of geometric shapes and patterns.

4. What are some real-world applications of Mobius transformations?

Mobius transformations have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used in the study of fluid dynamics, electrical circuits, and 3D animation, among others.

5. How can one find a Mobius transformation?

There are several methods for finding a Mobius transformation, including using known fixed points or critical points, using cross-ratios, and solving systems of equations. Computer algorithms are also available for finding Mobius transformations. Additionally, there are various software programs that can assist in finding Mobius transformations.