Undamped 2 DOF vibration. What should the eigen vectors be here

In summary, normal modes of vibration, two masses, two spring, arranged vertically with m2 at the top, m1 underneath arranged (top to bottom) m2, k2, m1, k1, rigid support, when k_1=5,\; k_2=10,\; m_1=20,\; m_2=50, the eigenvectors for the first two principle modes are 1 and -1.
nerak99
Normal modes of vibration, two masses, two spring, arranged vertically with m2 at the top, m1 underneath arranged (top to bottom) m2, k2, m1, k1, rigid support

I have solved the first part of an undamped coupled spring problem to give

[itex]m_1m_2 \omega ^ 4 + ((m_1+m_2)k_2+m_2k_1)\omega ^2 +k_1k_2=0[/itex] Since this is a show that Q, I know this is correct.

With [itex]k_1=5,\; k_2=10,\; m_1=20,\; m_2=50 [/itex] I get [itex]\omega_1=0.2365,\;\omega_2=0.9456[/itex]

This comes from the equation [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
m_1 \omega^2+k_1+k_2 & -k_2 \\
-k_2 & m_2 \omega^2+k_2
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
X_1 \\
X_2
\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}
0 \\
\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

I have formed the impression (which must be wrong) that my values of [itex]\omega[/itex] should be eigen values with eigen vectors of [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
1 \\
\end{pmatrix}[/itex] and [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
1 \\
\end{pmatrix}[/itex] Which describe the first two principle modes of vibration.

I expect to be able to check by substituting my values of [itex]\omega[/itex] into the matrix equation and get the zero matrix at the RHS when I used the eigen vectors for [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
X_1 \\
X_2
\end{pmatrix}[/itex]
However when I multiply out the matrix and the eigen vectors with my values of [itex]\omega[/itex] I get nothing like [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
0 \\
\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Where is my understanding going wrong with this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
t100ss said:
I have formed the impression (which must be wrong) that my values of [itex]\omega[/itex] should be eigen values with eigen vectors of [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
1 \\
\end{pmatrix}[/itex] and [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
1 \\
\end{pmatrix}[/itex] Which describe the first two principle modes of vibration.

I expect to be able to check by substituting my values of [itex]\omega[/itex] into the matrix equation and get the zero matrix at the RHS when I used the eigen vectors for [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
X_1 \\
X_2
\end{pmatrix}[/itex]
However when I multiply out the matrix and the eigen vectors with my values of [itex]\omega[/itex] I get nothing like [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
0 \\
\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Where is my understanding going wrong with this?

Your "impression" about the correct answer is wrong.

To see why it's wrong, imagine a two springs with equal stiffness, with a large mass at the bottom, and a small mass at the mid point. This is almost the same as a single mass at the end of the spring, and the eigenvector for the lowest mode will be approximately [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
0.5 \\
\end{pmatrix}[/itex] not [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
1 \\
\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

The eigenector for the second mode will be close to [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
1 \\
\end{pmatrix}[/itex], though that is a bit harder to "see" intuitively.

In general the eigenvectors depend on all the mass and stiffness properties. To calculate them, substitute the numbers for k m and ##\omega## into your equation [itex]\begin{pmatrix}
m_1 \omega^2+k_1+k_2 & -k_2 \\
-k_2 & m_2 \omega^2+k_2
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
X_1 \\
X_2
\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}
0 \\
\end{pmatrix}[/itex]
If you calculated ##\omega## correctly, the system of equations will be singular, and you can solve them for the ratio of ##X_1## to ##X_2##.

Repeat with the other value of ##\omega## to find the other eigenvector.

Thank you very much for your prompt answer. I might even have ended up understanding eigenvectors in this context. It was well worth ploughing through the latex to get your answer.

Related to Undamped 2 DOF vibration. What should the eigen vectors be here

1. What is the difference between damped and undamped 2 DOF vibration?

Undamped 2 DOF vibration refers to a system with two degrees of freedom that is not subject to any external damping forces. This means that the system will continue to vibrate at its natural frequency indefinitely. On the other hand, damped 2 DOF vibration is a system that has external damping forces acting on it, causing the amplitude of the vibration to decrease over time.

2. How is the natural frequency of an undamped 2 DOF vibration calculated?

The natural frequency of an undamped 2 DOF vibration is determined by the eigenvalues of the system's mass and stiffness matrices. These eigenvalues represent the frequencies at which the system will vibrate with no external damping forces.

3. What is the significance of eigen vectors in undamped 2 DOF vibration?

The eigen vectors in an undamped 2 DOF vibration represent the mode shapes of the system. These mode shapes indicate how the system will vibrate at its natural frequency, and can provide insight into the behavior and stability of the system.

4. Can the eigen vectors of an undamped 2 DOF vibration be any arbitrary values?

No, the eigen vectors in an undamped 2 DOF vibration must be orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other. This ensures that the system's mode shapes are unique and independent of each other.

5. How can the eigen vectors be determined for an undamped 2 DOF vibration?

The eigen vectors for an undamped 2 DOF vibration can be determined by solving the eigenvalue problem, which involves finding the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of the system's mass and stiffness matrices. These eigen vectors can also be calculated using numerical methods such as finite element analysis.