Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 278--2

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter SeM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lines
In summary, the conversation discusses an error that appears frequently in a document in LaTeX. The speaker is seeking advice on how to rectify the error, but without providing more details on the issue and its resulting output, it is difficult to give specific advice. The possibility of using the "sloppypar" command is mentioned, although it may affect the visual appearance. The speaker is also advised to try and troubleshoot the issue themselves first. Eventually, the speaker confirms that using the "sloppypar" command resolved the issue.
SeM
Hi, this error appears ubiquitously in my document, what does it mean and how can I rectify it?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
LaTeX is having problems fitting something such that it spans the entire horizontal space it should span (like trying to justify text at both margins). Without details as to what it is trying to do and what the resulting output is, it is hard to give advice. Sometimes, declaring a paragraph as a "sloppypar" can help, at the cost of not being so nice visually.

Do you mean \begin{sloppypar} asdasdasdasdasd \end{sloppypar} ?

By the way, you have been posting many threads asking about simple LaTeX errors, while giving very little context as to what you are trying to do.

Try to save the problem yourself first. For instance, you can check https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Errors_and_Warnings

SeM said:
Do you mean \begin{sloppypar} asdasdasdasdasd \end{sloppypar} ?
Yes.

Likes SeM
Thanks, this was the last error actually!

All the best

FAQ: Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 278--2

What does "Underfull \hbox (badness 10000) in paragraph at lines 278--2" mean?

This message is an indication that there is a problem with the formatting of the text in your document. Specifically, it means that there is an empty or partially empty line between two other lines of text, causing the text to be stretched to fill the space.

Why does this message appear in my document?

This message appears because LaTeX, the typesetting software used to create documents, has strict rules for formatting text. When these rules are not followed, the program will alert you to the issue.

Does this message affect the readability of my document?

In most cases, this message will not greatly affect the readability of your document. However, it is important to fix the underlying issue to ensure that your document is properly formatted and adheres to established typesetting standards.

How can I fix this issue?

To fix this issue, you can try adjusting the spacing or formatting of the text in your document. You can also try using the \sloppy command, which will allow LaTeX to adjust the spacing in a more flexible manner. If the issue persists, you may need to restructure your document or seek assistance from a LaTeX expert.

Is this message something I should be concerned about?

This message is typically not a cause for concern as it does not typically affect the overall layout or readability of your document. However, it is important to address the issue to ensure that your document is properly formatted and adheres to established typesetting standards.