Undergrad Math: Should I or Shouldn't I?

In summary, It is not necessary to have a stellar high school performance or experience in competitions to major in mathematics. The study habits required for university are different and the most important factor is whether or not you have a passion for the subject. You can always change your major if it turns out to not be the right fit. High school performance does not necessarily indicate success in university mathematics.
acm
Considering taking a undergraduate BSci in mathematics. My ability is not stellar, I attain fairly good grades and take the top levels but I haven't competed in competitions such as Olympiad, etc. My question is: Should I or Shouldn't I major in mathematics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your performance in high school often has little correlation with your performance in university. The study habits required of you in university are probably radically different from those required of you in high school.

The most important question you should ask yourself is: Do I like mathematics enough to spend four years immersed in it? If the answer is yes, then you should, by all means, major in math.

Keep in mind that you can always change it later if you decide it's not for you. If you change your major in the first couple of years, there's essentially no penalty.

- Warren

Don't worry about high school scores/competitions/olympiads/hierarchies... like above: university maths is completely different.

You find a lot of people who were top at their high school, fall short when it comes to learning university maths - and vice versa.

You can't tell until you start.

All I would say is that you have to find high school maths easy - but don't worry about not having a medal :wink:

FAQ: Undergrad Math: Should I or Shouldn't I?

1. Should I take undergraduate math courses even if I am not majoring in a math-related field?

Yes, it is highly recommended to take undergraduate math courses even if you are not majoring in a math-related field. These courses will provide you with critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are applicable to a wide range of fields and careers.

2. Will taking undergraduate math courses be too challenging for me?

It depends on your level of comfort and interest in math. While some may find it challenging, the courses are designed to provide support and resources for students to succeed. It is important to communicate with your instructor and utilize any tutoring resources available.

3. Can I skip taking undergraduate math courses if I scored well on my math SAT/ACT?

Even if you scored well on your math SAT/ACT, it is still recommended to take undergraduate math courses. The material covered in these courses is more advanced and goes beyond what is typically covered on standardized tests. Additionally, math skills require practice and taking these courses will allow you to continue developing and strengthening your skills.

4. I struggled with math in high school, should I avoid taking undergraduate math courses?

No, you should not avoid taking undergraduate math courses just because you struggled with math in high school. College level math courses often have a different teaching style and may cover different topics. It is important to give yourself a chance and seek help if needed.

5. What are the benefits of taking undergraduate math courses?

There are many benefits of taking undergraduate math courses, even if you are not majoring in a math-related field. These courses can improve your critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. They can also provide a strong foundation for courses in other fields, such as economics, computer science, and engineering. Additionally, having a strong math background can make you a more competitive candidate for graduate school or job opportunities.