Undergrad Research-focused Degrees

In summary, there are no formal programs like the one mentioned in the US, but research experience can be obtained through other means. It is highly recommended for a good graduate school application. As for requirements for international students to do an MS before a PhD, it varies from school to school and may depend on the educational system of the applicant's country. It is advised to inquire with specific programs when applying. Some US universities may require international students to have an MS before proceeding to a PhD, while others may allow direct admission.
kehler
I don't know if the US has programs like that but we have them here at ANU (Aust)

http://studyat.anu.edu.au/programs/4714HBENG;overview.html"

http://studyat.anu.edu.au/programs/4660HPHB;overview.html"

I'm thinking of transferring to the Science one if I can get in. Do you think it'll help my application to a good grad school? (I'm planning to go to the US for grad school)
Also, I checked out a few US unis websites (MIT, Stanford..) and it seems like international students have to do a MS before doing a phD. Can anyone confirm that? I'd always thought that one could do a phD without having to do a masters :S

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know of any formal programs like that in the US, but there are ways for students to obtain that research experience if they seek it out.

Yes, research experience will help a graduate school application immensely (assuming you are good at it...but then if you aren't good at it, you probably would already be rethinking that plan anyway, and then the experience is good to keep you from wasting more time pursuing something that's not right for you).

I don't know anything about requirements to do an MS before a Ph.D. for international students. Every school and program has their own requirements though. It might also depend on where you've gone to school. If the educational system is similar enough to the US, maybe they can waive a requirement, and just have it listed because they can't reasonably evaluate the quality of an applicant from a country with very different educational systems from the US, or perhaps to see how well they fare in a program taught entirely in English for those who come from non-English-speaking countries? It's worth asking the specific programs about when you're ready to start applying.

Ok, thanks for the advice :)

kehler said:
Also, I checked out a few US unis websites (MIT, Stanford..) and it seems like international students have to do a MS before doing a phD. Can anyone confirm that? I'd always thought that one could do a phD without having to do a masters :S
Are you sure they say you have to actually do an MS before applying for a PhD, or that you should primarily be enrolled onto the MS course. If the latter, then I presume that you can be transferred onto the PhD course when you prove that you do well enough on the course. That happens over here in the UK: students get enrolled onto MPhil courses and then upgrade to the PhD course when they have proven they can cope.

Hmm I'm not sure, Cristo. Stanford's admission requirements to the Engineering grad courses had this: 'PhD and Engr applicants must have received, or be in the process of obtaining, an MS degree before applying'.
And MIT's faq page says 'in most cases, students without a master's degree will get that degree before proceeding on to the PhD. If you already hold a master's degree from another school, you can apply directly to the PhD'.

They didn't say much else. Or maybe I didn't look hard enough :S

It sounds like MIT's procedure is the same as most US colleges (that I know of): namely, one enters as an MS student, and then on satisfying certain criteria on that course, applies to be upgraded to the PhD programme, with or without physically obtaining the MS. I'm sure someone familiar with the US system can confirm, or add to this.

Related to Undergrad Research-focused Degrees

1. What is an undergrad research-focused degree?

An undergrad research-focused degree is a program that places a strong emphasis on research, typically in a specific field of study. This type of degree allows students to gain hands-on experience in conducting research, analyzing data, and presenting findings.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing an undergrad research-focused degree?

There are several benefits to pursuing an undergrad research-focused degree. It allows students to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. It also provides valuable experience for those interested in pursuing graduate studies or a career in research.

3. Are undergrad research-focused degrees only available in certain fields?

No, undergrad research-focused degrees are available in a wide range of fields, including but not limited to, science, technology, engineering, mathematics, social sciences, and humanities. Some universities also offer interdisciplinary programs that incorporate research in multiple fields.

4. How does the research component differ from traditional undergraduate programs?

The research component in undergrad research-focused degrees differs from traditional undergraduate programs in that it is more hands-on and immersive. Students are actively involved in research projects, working closely with faculty and other researchers, and may have the opportunity to present their findings at conferences or publish their work.

5. Will pursuing an undergrad research-focused degree limit my career options?

No, pursuing an undergrad research-focused degree will not limit your career options. In fact, it may open up new opportunities in research, academia, or other industries. The skills and experience gained through this type of degree are highly transferable and can be applied to a variety of career paths.