Understand T=k3 x H/N | Help & Explanation

• Thread starter PainterGuy
  • Start date
In summary: This should make sense because the resistance would be different for different areas, but if we keep the area constant, the only thing that would change is the length, so we can write R in terms of a constant k1 and L.Similarly, R = k_2 (1/A) is only valid for the case where "A" is the only thing being varied. This should make sense because the resistance would be different for different lengths, but if we keep the length constant, the only thing that would change is the area, so we can write R in terms of a constant k2 and 1/A.Since we know that k1 = \rho/A and k2 = \rho L, we can substitute these into equation 3
PainterGuy
hello everyone,:wink:

suppose i have ("x" stands for multiplication)
1:-- T=k1 x H; and
2:-- T=k2 x 1/N;
3:-- then T=k3 x H/N

how do i combine "1" and "2" to get "3". trying to understand conceptually. help me please. many thanks for any help you can give me.

cheers

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your notation is not clear. I would interpret "k1" and "k2" as different values of k indexed by 1 and 2 but apparently you mean powers: [itex]k^1= k[/itex] and [itex]k^2= k*k[/itex]
[tex]\left(k H\right)\left(\frac{k^2}{N}\right)= \frac{k(k)(k) H}{N}= \frac{k^3H}{N}= k^3\frac{H}{N}[/tex]

painterguy said:
hello everyone,:wink:

suppose i have ("x" stands for multiplication) and k1, k2, and k3 are any constants:
1:-- T=k1 x H; and
2:-- T=k2 x 1/N;
3:-- then T=k3 x H/N

how do i combine "1" and "2" to get "3". trying to understand conceptually. help me please. many thanks for any help you can give me.

cheers

HallsofIvy said:
Your notation is not clear. I would interpret "k1" and "k2" as different values of k indexed by 1 and 2 but apparently you mean powers: [itex]k^1= k[/itex] and [itex]k^2= k*k[/itex]
[tex]\left(k H\right)\left(\frac{k^2}{N}\right)= \frac{k(k)(k) H}{N}= \frac{k^3H}{N}= k^3\frac{H}{N}[/tex]

many thanks HallsofIvy. my quoted post above is edited to reflect what i actually wanted to say. why are you multiplying "1" and "2" to get "3".

i understand in such proportional relations multiplication is done but why? why don't we add?:confused:

cheers

painterguy said:
many thanks HallsofIvy. my quoted post above is edited to reflect what i actually wanted to say. why are you multiplying "1" and "2" to get "3".

i understand in such proportional relations multiplication is done but why? why don't we add?:confused:

cheers

If I understand you correctly, we do add. [tex](k^{1})(k^{2}) = (k^{3})[/tex]

This can be explained by [tex](k)(k \cdot k) = k \cdot k \cdot k = k^{1+1+1} = k^{3}[/tex]

The only time we multiply exponent cases is when we have something like [tex](k^{2})^{3} = k^{6}[/tex]

KrisOhn said:
If I understand you correctly, we do add. [tex](k^{1})(k^{2}) = (k^{3})[/tex]

This can be explained by [tex](k)(k \cdot k) = k \cdot k \cdot k = k^{1+1+1} = k^{3}[/tex]

The only time we multiply exponent cases is when we have something like [tex](k^{2})^{3} = k^{6}[/tex]

many thanks KrisOhn.:smile:

my post# 3 is corrected. there is no k3, k2, etc. now help me please

cheers

You're going to have to rephrase your question in a clearer manner, I don't see what you're getting at other than what we've already outlined.

KrisOhn;3219896[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue" said:
]You're going to have to rephrase your question in a clearer manner[/COLOR], I don't see what you're getting at other than what we've already outlined.

okay here it is.

Resistance is proportional to length: R [tex]\propto [/tex] L
Resistance is inversely proportional to Area: R [tex]\propto [/tex] 1/A

1:- R = k1 x L
2:- R = k2 x 1/A
3:- R = [tex]\rho [/tex] L/A

k1 and k2 are constants of proportionality.

how do we get "3" from "1" and "2". tell me please now. many thanks.

cheers

hello, :wink:

will someone please help me out? i will be grateful. if something is still unclear please tell me. i will try to clear it up.

cheers

PainterGuy said:
okay here it is.

Resistance is proportional to length: R [tex]\propto [/tex] L
Resistance is inversely proportional to Area: R [tex]\propto [/tex] 1/A

1:- R = k1 x L
2:- R = k2 x 1/A
3:- R = [tex]\rho [/tex] L/A

k1 and k2 are constants of proportionality.

how do we get "3" from "1" and "2". tell me please now. many thanks.

cheers

Because [itex]k_1 = \rho / A[/itex] and [itex]k_2 = \rho L[/itex]

That is, k1 is only a constant if A is fixed and k2 is only constant if L is fixed. What I mean is that [itex]R = k_1 L[/itex] is only valid for the case where "L" is the only thing being varied.

FAQ: Understand T=k3 x H/N | Help & Explanation

1. What is the equation "T=k3 x H/N" used for?

The equation "T=k3 x H/N" is used to calculate the temperature (T) of a substance, where k3 is a constant, H is the enthalpy of the substance, and N is the number of particles in the substance. It is commonly used in thermodynamics and chemistry.

2. How is the equation "T=k3 x H/N" derived?

The equation "T=k3 x H/N" is derived from the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. By rearranging this equation and considering the relationship between temperature and enthalpy, we arrive at the equation "T=k3 x H/N".

3. What does the constant k3 represent in the equation "T=k3 x H/N"?

The constant k3 represents the relationship between temperature and enthalpy for a specific substance. It is often referred to as the heat capacity ratio or specific heat ratio and varies depending on the substance and its state.

4. How is the equation "T=k3 x H/N" used in real-world applications?

The equation "T=k3 x H/N" is used in various real-world applications, such as in thermodynamic calculations for industrial processes, in the design and operation of engines and power plants, and in the study of chemical reactions. It is also commonly used in laboratory experiments to measure temperature changes during chemical reactions.

5. Can the equation "T=k3 x H/N" be used for all substances?

No, the equation "T=k3 x H/N" is only applicable to substances that follow the first law of thermodynamics and have a constant heat capacity ratio. It may not accurately calculate the temperature for substances with complex or non-linear relationships between temperature and enthalpy.