Understand Vector Potential A Physically: Proof of E = ∂A/∂t - ∇φ

In summary, the A-potential is introduced in the EM formalism to write the theory in a symmetrical way. It makes the step towards field theory more logic in the sense that the A field plays the role of the EM gauge field. Also, this potential is used to impose gauge-conditions to set the remaining degree of freedom that arises due to the definition of the A-field.
captain
i am having trouble visualiszing what vector potential A means physically. I understand that if you take the curl of it it give you the magnetic field B. I was wondering if anybody could also direct me to a website or show me a proof of how the electric field E is equal to the partial derivative of A with respect to time minus the grad of the scalar potential. I have no clue where to find that proof and neither do i possesses a textbook that has the proof in it.

Physics news on Phys.org
captain said:
i am having trouble visualiszing what vector potential A means physically. I understand that if you take the curl of it it give you the magnetic field B. I was wondering if anybody could also direct me to a website or show me a proof of how the electric field E is equal to the partial derivative of A with respect to time minus the grad of the scalar potential. I have no clue where to find that proof and neither do i possesses a textbook that has the proof in it.

I still don't understand the physical significance of A. My teacher told me there wasn't really one... it was just a mathematical relationship. Anyway, it seems to be in the same direction the E field that gets induced by the B field (which may or may not be induced by an original field, E1)

how E = dA/dt:

use Maxwell's Equations, maybe the divergence theorem or one of those other integral forms... I'm having deja vu:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_equations

Pythagorean said:
I still don't understand the physical significance of A. My teacher told me there wasn't really one... it was just a mathematical relationship.
Your teacher is right on this one. The A-potential is introduced in the EM formalism to write the theory in a symmetrical way. It makes the step towards field theory more logic in the sense that the A field plays the role of the EM gauge field. Also, this potential is used to impose gauge-conditions to set the remaining degree of freedom that arises due to the definition of the A-field.

More here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_potential

marlon

edit : you should also wonder about the question why they call the A field a POTENTIAL ! :wink: (hint : look at the definition of the scalar potential)

Last edited:
Pythagorean said:
I still don't understand the physical significance of A. My teacher told me there wasn't really one... it was just a mathematical relationship. Anyway, it seems to be in the same direction the E field that gets induced by the B field (which may or may not be induced by an original field, E1)

how E = dA/dt:

use Maxwell's Equations, maybe the divergence theorem or one of those other integral forms... I'm having deja vu:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_equations[/QUOTE]

so can i think of A as being a field who's rate of rotation equals the magnetic field and who's field velocity is equal to the electrical field.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Understand Vector Potential A Physically: Proof of E = ∂A/∂t - ∇φ

1. What is the vector potential in physics?

The vector potential in physics is a mathematical construct used to describe the behavior of vector fields in three-dimensional space. It is commonly used in electromagnetism to represent the magnetic field in terms of a scalar potential and a vector potential.

2. How is the vector potential related to the electric and magnetic fields?

The electric and magnetic fields can be derived from the vector potential using the equations E = -∂A/∂t and B = ∇ x A. This relationship is known as the vector potential gauge invariance and allows for a more elegant and concise representation of electromagnetic phenomena.

3. What is the physical significance of the vector potential?

The vector potential is physically significant because it represents the underlying structure of electromagnetic fields. It helps us understand the behavior of these fields and can be used to make predictions and calculations in various applications, such as in electric motors and generators.

4. What is the proof of E = ∂A/∂t - ∇φ?

The proof of this equation involves using Maxwell's equations and the vector potential gauge invariance to show that the electric field can be expressed as the negative gradient of the scalar potential (φ) and the time derivative of the vector potential (A).

5. How is the vector potential physically measured?

The vector potential cannot be directly measured as it is a mathematical construct. However, it can be calculated or inferred from measurements of the electric and magnetic fields using the equations mentioned above. It is also important to note that the vector potential is only defined up to a constant, so its absolute value cannot be measured.