Understanding 3D Glasses: How Polarization Works and the Role of Mirrors

• Thread starter BkBkBk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d
In summary, the 3D glasses used in cinemas work by only allowing light with specific polarizations through the lenses. When looking in a mirror, the open eye's lens turns dark because the mirror reverses the polarization. This is similar to overtaking a clock and is achieved through the use of circular polarizers in the glasses. These glasses are made from a linear polarizer and a quarter wave plate, which rotate the light and make it circular. When the light reflects off the mirror, it goes through the quarter wave plate again and is rotated, causing it to be blocked by the linear polarizer.
BkBkBk
I just got back from the cinema an hour ago and brought my 3d glasses home,i know these glasses work by only allowing light that oscillates in certain dirrections through the lenses,and each lense lies perpendicular to the other,allowing only one set of light through each lense,making you to see a composite image of two different images.

now what puzzled me was,when i look in the mirror with one i closed,the lense covering the open eye turns dark,so i can see everything else fine,but my eye and skin surrounding my eye disappears. in the mirror image.

what I am wondering is,do mirrors polarise lightwaves,is that why i can't see my open eye but can my closed one?

could someone give me not only a qualatative explanation,but also inclusde some quantitative information so i get a feel for not only how the process works but how we describe it with mathematics?

Science news on Phys.org
No,
The point of the glasses is that they allow different polarizations through.
So the left one only let's through the image for the left eye and v.v.
If you look in a mirror with both eyes open then both eyes can see out through their own lens. But the left eye can only see back through the image of the left lens and the right eye through the right lens - so you can see both eyes.

But if you close your left eye, your right eye can see out through the right lens and can see back in through the right lens - but not back through the left one - so your left eye looks black.

but that's not what happens,when i close my left eye,i can still see it with the right eye,but the right eye can't see itself,the right lense is the one that goes black (the lense of the the open eye is the one that goes black)

Reflections do interesting things to polarization. In this case I guess the lenses do CW and CCW circular polarization, and the mirror reverses it.

That is correct. The more expensive, passive stereoscopic glasses use circular polarization. With simple, plane polarization, tilting one's head will immediately disrupt the stereo effect.

Circularly polarized light does reverse the sense of polarization upon reflection.

could this be analagous to overtaking a clock,ie watching a helix change dirrection?

ok - understand.
The RealD glasses used in cinema are circular polarizers.
They are made from a linear polarizer and then a quarter wave plate which rotates the linear polarized light 45deg and makes it circular.
When the light reflects it goes back through the quarter waveplate which rotates it another 45deg and then it hits the liner polarizer again at 90deg different to the original direction = blocked.

Related to Understanding 3D Glasses: How Polarization Works and the Role of Mirrors

1. How do 3D glasses work?

3D glasses work by using polarizing filters to separate the left and right images on a 3D display. The glasses have lenses that are polarized in different directions, which allows each eye to see a slightly different image. This creates the illusion of depth and makes the image appear 3D.

2. What is the difference between passive and active 3D glasses?

Passive 3D glasses use polarizing filters to separate the left and right images, while active 3D glasses use shutters to block each eye from seeing the opposite image at the same time. Passive glasses are cheaper and do not require batteries, but may result in a slightly dimmer image. Active glasses are more expensive and require batteries, but provide a brighter and more immersive 3D experience.

3. Can I use 3D glasses on any 3D display?

No, 3D glasses are only compatible with specific 3D displays that use the same type of technology. For example, passive glasses will only work on passive 3D displays, and active glasses will only work on active 3D displays. It is important to check the compatibility of your glasses and display before using them together.

4. Are 3D glasses safe for children to use?

3D glasses are generally safe for children to use, but it is recommended that children under the age of 6 do not use them. This is because their eyes are still developing and prolonged use of 3D glasses may cause eye strain or discomfort. It is also important for children to take breaks from using 3D glasses to rest their eyes.

5. Can I wear prescription glasses with 3D glasses?

Yes, most 3D glasses are designed to fit over prescription glasses. However, it is important to check the compatibility of your glasses and ensure that they do not cause discomfort or affect the effectiveness of the 3D experience. Some 3D glasses also come with adjustable frames to accommodate different sizes and shapes of prescription glasses.