Understanding a PLL: Determine H(s) from Transfer Functions

• Thread starter anon6912
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the implementation of a basic PLL and determining H(s) from given transfer functions. It also mentions a specific type of PLL called synchronous frame-PLL and a related research paper on PLL under distorted inputs.
anon6912
I'm trying to implement a basic PLL. The diagram is given as follows:
ufU8lrC.png

ufU8lrC

ufU8lrC

Where the transfer functions are given as follows:
o0BHksR.png

o0BHksR

To implement the PLL I need it to be as follows:
gK0RkWm.png

gK0RkWm

How do I determine H(s) from the transfer functions that are given?

Thank you for your help

Likes jim mcnamara
Engineering news on Phys.org
Based on your 3rd picture, the block diagram reminds me of the so-called synchronous frame-PLL shown below (see attached pdf for more details). Here the loop filter is basically a PI regulator.

Se also "Operation of a phase locked loop system under distorted utility conditions" by V. Kaura and V. Blasko if you are interested in PLL under distorted inputs.
upload_2017-9-25_16-36-45.png

Attachments

• Phase locked loop - a review.pdf
    376.6 KB · Views: 439

FAQ: Understanding a PLL: Determine H(s) from Transfer Functions

1. What is a PLL?

A PLL, or Phase-Locked Loop, is a control system that generates an output signal with a fixed phase relationship to an input signal. It is commonly used for frequency synthesis and synchronization in electronic systems.

2. How does a PLL work?

A PLL consists of three main components: a phase detector, a loop filter, and a voltage-controlled oscillator (VCO). The phase detector compares the phase of the input signal to the phase of the VCO output, and the loop filter uses this information to adjust the VCO frequency. The VCO then generates an output signal that is locked in phase with the input signal.

3. What is the transfer function of a PLL?

The transfer function of a PLL is a mathematical representation of how the output signal of the PLL is affected by changes in the input signal. It is typically expressed as a ratio of output to input in the frequency domain and can be used to analyze the performance of a PLL.

4. How do you determine the transfer function of a PLL?

The transfer function of a PLL can be determined by using the Laplace transform to convert the PLL's differential equations into the frequency domain. This results in a transfer function that can be manipulated and analyzed to understand the behavior of the PLL.

5. What is the significance of understanding the transfer function of a PLL?

Understanding the transfer function of a PLL is important for designing and optimizing PLL systems. It allows engineers to predict and control the behavior of the PLL in different scenarios, leading to more efficient and reliable electronic systems.