Understanding Antimatter Annihilation: Levels and Possibilities"

In summary, it seems like when two quarks interact they create a new particle that is not just the sum of the two quarks.
Big-Daddy
At what level does annihilation occur?

For example, if I've got an up quark and an anti-up quark, they can annihilate. If I've got a proton (uud) and anti-proton (anti up, anti up, anti down), they can annihilate. What if I mix a neutron (down, down, up) with an anti-proton (anti up, anti up, anti down)? Can we get the annihilation of the neutron's down quark(s) with the anti-proton's anti-down quark, or of the neutron's up quark with the anti-proton's anti-up quark(s)?

What if we have an anti-H atom (anti-proton and positron, I guess) - obviously this will annihilate with an H atom (proton and electron), but will the anti-proton annihilate individually with a proton, or the positron annihilate individually with an electron, to leave behind just a positron or an anti-proton respectively? Will an anti-H atom annihilate with an H2 molecule, given that the H2 electrons are taken up in a bonding pair? What will be left afterwards then?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have an idea!

I only have a high school regents physics understanding about all of this but bear with me. Like in chemistry how when two elements bond together, they become something totally different then their original forms, maybe this is the same for quarks, an up up and down quark make a proton, something maybe different from their original properties, so I believe if a neutron and an anti-proton were to collide, complete annihilation would not occur because the new bonded product does not act the same as its simpler "ingredients" would alone.

all sorts of things can happen, but it really depends on the collision itself. If you had enough energy you'd be able to collide the neutron and anti-proton and get annihilation (although it also depends on pure probability), which would then form a couple of mesons from the free quarks

Same goes for the H, if you had enough energy to get a collision you could easily get H, anti-H, annihilation. This extends to the H2, the molecular form doesn't matter much on the subatomic scale.

Viracocha said:
the molecular form doesn't matter much on the subatomic scale.

Are you sure this is true?

It's true as far as I know, molecules are just more compact clusters of atoms. Molecules are much larger than atoms and particle interactions don't really do much on scales larger than atoms. You can have interactions that take place in a lone proton/neutron of a heavy element without even effecting other protons/neutrons (for example, radioactive decay), so I can't imagine that a molecular form would matter much.

Related to Understanding Antimatter Annihilation: Levels and Possibilities"

1. What is antimatter and how is it different from regular matter?

Antimatter is a form of matter that is made up of particles with opposite charge compared to regular matter. For example, the antiparticle of an electron is a positron, which has a positive charge instead of a negative charge like an electron. When antimatter comes into contact with regular matter, they annihilate each other, releasing large amounts of energy.

2. What is antimatter annihilation and how does it occur?

Antimatter annihilation is the process that occurs when antimatter and regular matter come into contact and release large amounts of energy. This happens because when an antiparticle and its corresponding particle collide, they cancel each other out, converting their mass into pure energy according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2.

3. What are the different levels of antimatter annihilation?

There are three levels of antimatter annihilation: low, medium, and high. Low-level annihilation occurs when a particle and antiparticle with low energy collide and release a small amount of energy. Medium-level annihilation involves particles with higher energy levels and can release more energy. High-level annihilation is the most powerful and occurs when particles with extremely high energies collide, producing the most energy.

4. What are the potential uses and applications of antimatter annihilation?

Antimatter annihilation has the potential to be used as a highly efficient and powerful energy source. It could also be used in medical imaging and cancer treatment, as well as in propulsion systems for space travel. However, the production and storage of antimatter is currently extremely difficult and expensive, making it challenging to harness its full potential.

5. What are the current limitations and challenges in understanding and utilizing antimatter annihilation?

One of the main limitations in understanding antimatter annihilation is the lack of naturally occurring antimatter in our universe. Scientists must create and store antimatter in specialized facilities, which is a costly and difficult process. Additionally, there are still many unknowns about the behavior and properties of antimatter, making it challenging to predict and control its interactions. Finally, the potential uses of antimatter are limited by the current technological capabilities and limitations in producing and harnessing it.