Understanding Band Gap Models in Statistical Mechanics: Qualifying Exam Practice

• Thread starter Allday
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stat mech
In summary, the conversation discusses a model system with a density of states and the total number of particles in the system. The first part of the problem considers particles obeying fermi-dirac statistics and asks for expressions for the total number of particles and total energy. The next part asks for the fermi energy at low temperature and the third part asks to calculate the chemical potential at low but non-zero temperature. The solution involves using the classical distribution function and making a power series expansion.
Allday
Hey folks,

studying for the qualifying exam and i wanted to run this by the forum. A model system has a density of states
g(E) = X for 0 < E < A
g(E) = 0 for A <= E <= B
g(E) = Y for B < E

the total number of particles in the system is given by N = X A.
Now this looks like a very simple model of a band gap. The first part of the problem asks us to consider particles that obey fermi-dirac statistics.
The first question asks for expressions for the total number of particles and the total energy. so we have

[tex]
N = \int_0^{\infty} g(E) f(E) dE
[/tex]

[tex]
N = \int_0^{A} \frac{X dE}{e^{(E - \mu)/kT} + 1} +
\int_B^{\infty} \frac{Y dE}{e^{(E - \mu)/kT} + 1}
[/tex]

[tex]
U = \int_0^{\infty} E g(E) f(E) dE
[/tex]

[tex]
U = \int_0^{A} \frac{X E dE}{e^{(E - \mu)/kT} + 1} +
\int_B^{\infty} \frac{Y E dE}{e^{(E - \mu)/kT} + 1}
[/tex]

Im fine with this much. Next part asks for the fermi energy as the temperature goes to 0. I know that the chemical potential at T=0 is equal to the fermi energy. and in this case it seems obvious that the fermi energy is A given that N = X A.

The third part is what I am having a bit of trouble with. We are asked to calculate the chemical potential at low but non-zero temperature. Now remember these problems are meant to be done without the use of calculators or integral tables. I see that I need to evaluate the integral for N and solve for the chemical potential. I can see a way to do it if i assume that T is low that

[tex]
e^{(E - \mu) / kT} >> 1
[/tex]

then the 1 in the denominator can be neglected but that is like switching to a classical distribution which doesn't make sense in a low temperature limit. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hey mod

can you move this thread to the problem help section? It might get some more attention there.
thanks

Last edited:
Found the answer and figured Id post it here in case anyone was interested. It is indeed not correct disregard the 1 in the denominator and use the classical distribution function. Instead one makes a power series expansion in the variable epsilon - mu. The is called the Sommerfeld Expansion if anyone wants to look at references.

Related to Understanding Band Gap Models in Statistical Mechanics: Qualifying Exam Practice

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain the behavior of a large number of particles in a system. It is used to study the relationship between macroscopic properties, such as temperature and pressure, and microscopic properties, such as the positions and velocities of individual particles.

2. How is statistical mechanics different from thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics deals with the behavior of macroscopic systems in equilibrium, whereas statistical mechanics takes into account the behavior of individual particles and their interactions to explain macroscopic properties. In other words, thermodynamics uses empirical laws, while statistical mechanics is based on microscopic principles.

3. What is the Boltzmann distribution?

The Boltzmann distribution is a probability distribution that describes the distribution of particles in a system at thermal equilibrium. It states that the number of particles with a certain energy level is proportional to the exponential of the negative energy divided by the product of the temperature and the Boltzmann constant.

4. What is entropy in statistical mechanics?

In statistical mechanics, entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. It is related to the number of ways in which the particles in a system can be arranged. As the number of possible arrangements increases, the entropy also increases.

5. How is statistical mechanics used in real-world applications?

Statistical mechanics is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as understanding the behavior of gases, liquids, and solids, predicting phase transitions, and studying the properties of complex systems like polymers and biological molecules. It also has applications in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and engineering.