Understanding Bed Leveling and Z-Calibration for 3D Printers

• Thread starter fog37
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d
In summary: The sensor detects the wire's resistance as it moves across the print surface and adjusts the extruder's position accordingly.
fog37
TL;DR Summary
leveling 3D print surface for correct printing
Hello,
I am dealing with bed Leveling and calibration (I guess they are the same process) of my new 3D printer and I realized I am shaky on a few basic concepts:
  • Leveling: bed leveling does not mean that the building platform is leveled with respect to the ground, which is what a bubble level would measure...The print bed becomes correctly leveled when the extruder tip remains at a constant vertical distance Z away from the print surface as the extruder tip position, ideally for all possible X and Y coordinates, is moved across the printing surface and over all its points. The print bed may not be "leveled" using the bubble level but be "leveled" relative to the transverse motion of the extruder tip which, I guess, has its height automatically adjusted as the tip is scanned over the surface to maintain it at a constant height...Is that correct?
  • Z-calibration: I know that, for Z=0, the extruder tip is not actually touching the print surface but should be at nonzero vertical distance (~100 micron across all (X,Y) points on the bed). That is the Z-calibration which I think is accomplished via a 9-point test: the vertical extruder tip distance is checked and adjusted for 9 different and I guess all points in the area enclosed by those 9 points will also be Z-calibrated automatically...
  • Origin: where should the extruder tip be located with it is located at the origin O, the position with coordinates (X,Y,Z)= (0,0,0)? Should the origin O be at the center of the print bed? Or at the front left corner of printing bed?

Thank you!

Computer science news on Phys.org
fog37 said:
Summary:: leveling 3D print surface for correct printing

Hello,
I am dealing with bed Leveling and calibration (I guess they are the same process) of my new 3D printer and I realized I am shaky on a few basic concepts:
  • Leveling: bed leveling does not mean that the building platform is leveled with respect to the ground, which is what a bubble level would measure...The print bed becomes correctly leveled when the extruder tip remains at a constant vertical distance Z away from the print surface as the extruder tip position, ideally for all possible X and Y coordinates, is moved across the printing surface and over all its points. The print bed may not be "leveled" using the bubble level but be "leveled" relative to the transverse motion of the extruder tip which, I guess, has its height automatically adjusted as the tip is scanned over the surface to maintain it at a constant height...Is that correct?
  • Z-calibration: I know that, for Z=0, the extruder tip is not actually touching the print surface but should be at nonzero vertical distance (~100 micron across all (X,Y) points on the bed). That is the Z-calibration which I think is accomplished via a 9-point test: the vertical extruder tip distance is checked and adjusted for 9 different and I guess all points in the area enclosed by those 9 points will also be Z-calibrated automatically...
  • Origin: where should the extruder tip be located with it is located at the origin O, the position with coordinates (X,Y,Z)= (0,0,0)? Should the origin O be at the center of the print bed? Or at the front left corner of printing bed?

Thank you!
Levelling is usually done by attaching a spring-loaded micrometer gauge instead of extruder, and checking if it reads the same across whole bed. You can adjust bed level with set bolts, planing/sanding or epoxy coating, depending on details of your construction.

Most CNC software place origin in front left corner of the bed. It is a bit arbitrary though.

Likes fog37
trurle said:
Levelling is usually done by attaching a spring-loaded micrometer gauge instead of extruder, and checking if it reads the same across whole bed. You can adjust bed level with set bolts, planing/sanding or epoxy coating, depending on details of your construction.

Most CNC software place origin in front left corner of the bed. It is a bit arbitrary though.
Thank you trurle. I guess the origin O location, the home position, does not matter because the slicer accounts for that.

My printer has an autoleveling sensor...

Related to Understanding Bed Leveling and Z-Calibration for 3D Printers

1. What is bed leveling and why is it important for 3D printing?

Bed leveling is the process of ensuring that the surface of the print bed is parallel to the movement of the printer's extruder. It is important for 3D printing because it ensures that the first layer of the print adheres properly to the bed, resulting in a successful and accurate print.

2. How often should I level my bed?

It is recommended to level your bed before every print. However, if your printer has a stable and sturdy bed, you may only need to level it every few prints. It is important to monitor and adjust the bed level as needed to ensure quality prints.

3. What is Z-calibration and why is it necessary?

Z-calibration, also known as Z-axis calibration, is the process of adjusting the height of the printer's extruder in relation to the print bed. This is necessary because the distance between the extruder and the bed can affect the quality and accuracy of the print.

4. How do I know if my bed is properly leveled?

A properly leveled bed will have the first layer of the print adhere smoothly and evenly to the bed. You can also use a piece of paper to check the distance between the nozzle and the bed - it should have a slight resistance when sliding between the two.

5. Are there any tools or techniques that can make bed leveling and Z-calibration easier?

Yes, there are various tools and techniques that can make bed leveling and Z-calibration easier, such as using a bed leveling sensor, using a bed leveling wizard in the printer's software, or using a manual mesh bed leveling technique. It is important to find the method that works best for your specific printer and to regularly check and adjust the bed level for optimal results.