Understanding Brewster Angle & Polarised Beams

In summary: If you want to understand Brewster's angle, you'll need to understand electromagnetic theory. But fortunately, the equations that govern the behavior of electromagnetic waves are quite straightforward. The first figure in the article shows the reflected beam as a function of angle of incidence. Obviously, the reflected beam is polarized perpendicular to the interface if n_2 / n_1 = tan \theta_B . The second figure in the article shows the reflected beam as a function ofangle of incidence and polarization. It can be seen that the reflected beam is always polarized in the same direction as the incoming beam. This is due to the fact that the electric and magnetic fields associated with the incoming and reflected beams are always mutually perpendicular.
kame
Hi! I didn't understand how the brewster angle works. Why do I have a polarised beam? Do I need electromagnetism to understand this?

Physics news on Phys.org
To understand why this happens you need electromagnetic theory. But to apply the concept you don't. What exactly are you looking for in an answer here?

I need the electromagnetic explanation :)

Thanks in advance

I can't answer that for you, I don't know it. You'd do best to look at wikipedia at this point. I also don't think that this is going to be cut and dry.

Wikipedia? I didn't find it. :(

I'm assuming you have some knowledge of the fresnel equations, which deal with how an electromagnetic wave interacts with the interface between two media. If you don't know this, then it is much more difficult to accurately describe the Brewster angle!

Any ways, from the fresnel equations it is easy to see when the reflected portion of the electric field is zero. Trivially, there is the case where n1=n2, that is, the two media are optically identical and of course there is no reflection. The second case is the brewster angle, for which [tex] n_2 / n_1 = tan \theta_B [/tex]. Another way of thinking about this is that if you have a beam which is a mixture of polarizations parallel to and perpendicular to the interface, the reflected portion of the beam parallel is completely zero, i.e. the reflection is polarized perpendicular to the interface. Equivalently, if you shine a beam which is parallel polarized on the interface, there will be no reflected beam at all!

Does that help at all? If what I've said doesn't make sense I suggest you look back at the Fresnel equations and perhaps read the wiki article and see if you still have any questions =)

I have to read about the fresnel formula. Thanks!

If you run python I have a little program that will take 2 refractive indices and spit out the reflection coefficients for each angle of incidence from 0-90. Let me know if you want it.

kame said:
Wikipedia? I didn't find it. :(

That's surprising, since they have an entry on it.

@dacruick I love Python! Please send me the file.
This is my Python-Blog :) kkaammee.blogspot.com/

@Vanadium50
Can you show me where they write why the reflected beam is polarised?

That would be the first paragraph. And the second, third, fouth, fifth, sixth seventh and last. And the first and last figure.

The advice to look at the Wikipedia article was a good one. Really.

Related to Understanding Brewster Angle & Polarised Beams

1) What is Brewster's angle?

Brewster's angle is the angle of incidence at which light rays become polarized when they are reflected off of a medium with a higher refractive index. This means that the reflected light waves are oscillating in a single plane instead of in all directions.

2) How is Brewster's angle calculated?

Brewster's angle can be calculated using the formula: tan θ = n2/n1, where θ is the angle of incidence, n1 is the refractive index of the incident medium, and n2 is the refractive index of the medium that the light is reflecting off of.

3) What is the relationship between Brewster's angle and polarized light?

Brewster's angle is the angle at which light becomes polarized. When light is incident at this angle, the reflected light will be completely polarized, meaning that the electric field of the light waves will vibrate only in one direction.

4) How is Brewster's angle used in practical applications?

Brewster's angle is used in many optical instruments, such as polarizing filters, polarimeters, and polarizing microscopes. It is also used in the production of polarized sunglasses, which block out glare and reduce eye strain.

5) What is the difference between polarized and unpolarized light?

Polarized light consists of waves oscillating in a single plane, while unpolarized light consists of waves oscillating in all directions. When light is reflected at Brewster's angle, it becomes polarized. In contrast, unpolarized light can be polarized by passing it through a polarizing filter.