Understanding C as a Vector Space

In summary, we are to show that the set C of complex numbers satisfies the eight axioms of a vector space. The term "i" refers to the imaginary unit and complex numbers can be thought of as vectors. The third axiom states that there exists an additive identity, which is 0+0i. The logic used to prove this axiom was to let (a+bi) be vector X and (c+di) be vector Y, and showing that X+Y=X. The remaining axioms still need to be proven.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

We are to show that the set C of complex numbers, with scalar multiplication de ned
by α (a + bi) = α a + α bi and addition de fined by (a + bi) + (c + di) = (a + c) + (b + d)i,
satis es the eight axioms of a vector space

I have a few questions about this problem,

What is the term i? is it just a fancy way of saying a2

Can we think of these as vectors, for instance (a+bi)
is the vector X where a is x1 and bi is x2?

Also I was trying to prove the third axiom which states there exist an element 0 in V such that x+0=x for each xεV.

My logic was let (a+bi)= vector X and (c+di)= Vector Y
X+Y=X

X-X+Y=X-X
Y=0
thus X+Y=X

Thanks for the help guys.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Mdhiggenz said:

Homework Statement

We are to show that the set C of complex numbers, with scalar multiplication de ned
by α (a + bi) = α a + α bi and addition de fined by (a + bi) + (c + di) = (a + c) + (b + d)i,
satis es the eight axioms of a vector space

I have a few questions about this problem,

What is the term i? is it just a fancy way of saying a2

Can we think of these as vectors, for instance (a+bi)
is the vector X where a is x1 and bi is x2?

Also I was trying to prove the third axiom which states there exist an element 0 in V such that x+0=x for each xεV.

My logic was let (a+bi)= vector X and (c+di)= Vector Y
X+Y=X

X-X+Y=X-X
Y=0
thus X+Y=X

Thanks for the help guys.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i is the imaginary unit. i^2=(-1). But all you really need to know about complex numbers is that a+bi=c+di if and only if a=c and b=d. And, sure, the additive identity is 0 or 0+0i. Same thing.

Thanks for the response Dick. So my logic and reasoning was perfectly find for this problem?

Mdhiggenz said:
Thanks for the response Dick. So my logic and reasoning was perfectly find for this problem?

You deduced the identity is 0+0i, sure. Showing it is an identity is just a matter of saying (0+0i)+(a+bi)=(0+a)+(0+b)i=a+bi. That's only one axiom though. Haven't you got seven more to go?

Yea, but I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. Thanks!

Related to Understanding C as a Vector Space

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces.

2. Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is important because it has applications in many fields, including physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It provides a way to solve systems of linear equations and represent geometric objects such as lines and planes.

3. What are the basic concepts in linear algebra?

The basic concepts in linear algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, and systems of linear equations. Other key concepts include vector spaces, basis and dimension, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and inner products.

4. How is linear algebra used in data science?

Linear algebra is used extensively in data science for tasks such as data manipulation, dimensionality reduction, and machine learning algorithms. It provides a framework for representing and analyzing large datasets and making predictions based on data.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has many real-world applications, including image and signal processing, computer graphics, cryptography, and optimization problems. It is also used in economics for analyzing supply and demand models, and in engineering for solving systems of equations in circuit analysis.