Understanding Combined Circuits: Exploring Total Current and Measured Values

• I
  • Thread starter Steelers72
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, the speaker is conducting a lab experiment on combined circuits and noticed a large discrepancy between their calculated total current and measured current. They are unsure of the correct "take home point" or rule for combined circuits and are seeking clarification. They are also advised to double check their calculations and compare the theoretical value to the measured value.
Steelers72
I am doing a lab experiment with regard to combined circuits, and I wanted to check my data to see if I made an error in my experiment.

Theoretically speaking, in a combined circuit, should Itotal (total current) be equivalent to the Imeasured value?

I calculated my Itotal to be .0292A since the Vbatteries/Rtotal = 2.492V/84.23ohm

However, my Imeasured was 0.3253A +/- 0.0001A

To get the equivalent Resistance I had to break the circuit into series (Rtotal= R1+R2...) and parallel (1/Rtotal= 1/R1+1/R2) components.

I am confused what the "take home point" or rule for combination circuits should be, since my Itotal and Imeasured are so far off.

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
By "combined circuits" do you mean like this:
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/circuits/Lesson-4/Combination-Circuits

I don't know what you mean by "total current".
The measured current should be whatever you measured.
You will presumably compare it to some theoretical value ... which should be calculated as the current passing through the part of the circuit diagram corresponding to the position of the ammeter in the actual circuit.

Double check you maths - make sure you calculated the current for where the ammeter is.
If your math result is outside 2sd from the measurement, then you say that the measurement does not support the theory used.
It may be that the physical circuit does not match the diagram, or that you made a mistake in the maths.
Did you check your calculation for the equivalent resistance by measuring it with an ohmmeter?

Related to Understanding Combined Circuits: Exploring Total Current and Measured Values

What is a combined circuit?

A combined circuit is a network of interconnected electrical components that are connected in both series and parallel. This type of circuit allows for more complex and efficient electrical systems.

How do you calculate total current in a combined circuit?

To calculate the total current in a combined circuit, you need to use Ohm's Law, which states that the current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). In a combined circuit, you need to calculate the total resistance by combining the individual resistances in series and parallel, and then use Ohm's Law to find the total current.

What is the difference between total current and measured values in a combined circuit?

Total current refers to the overall amount of electrical current flowing through the entire circuit. This can be calculated using Ohm's Law, as mentioned before. Measured values, on the other hand, refer to the specific currents measured at different points in the circuit using an ammeter. Measured values may be different from the total current due to the presence of resistances and the configuration of the circuit.

How do resistors affect the total current in a combined circuit?

Resistors can either increase or decrease the total current in a combined circuit depending on whether they are connected in series or parallel. In series, resistors will add up and increase the total resistance, therefore decreasing the overall current. In parallel, resistors will divide the current, increasing the overall current.

Why is it important to understand combined circuits and their total current?

Understanding combined circuits and their total current is important because it allows us to design and build more complex electrical systems that are efficient and safe. It also helps us troubleshoot any issues that may arise in a circuit and make necessary adjustments to ensure the proper amount of current is flowing through the system.