Understanding Complex Integrals: A Step-by-Step Example with Truncated Waves

In summary, the textbook says that if f(x) is an odd function, then f(x)=-f(-x) for all x in the interval [-T,0].
Kazza_765
I'm working through an example regarding the spectral content of a truncated wave, and came across this in the textbook.
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-T}^T cos(\omega_0-\omega)t + isin(\omega_0-\omega)t dt[/tex]

Because the sine term is an odd function and the cosine is even, the integral reduces to

[tex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{0}^T cos(\omega_0-\omega)t dt[/tex]
I have no idea what they mean by the cosine being even and the sine odd. If anyone can explain this step to me that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I'll try to explain in simple terms. You know that an integral represents the area under the curve/graph, right? If the graph or parts of it are in the negative y-plane (under the x-axis), the area is negative. If a graph is symmetrical (looking the same on both sides of the y-axis), the function is called even. The cosine is like that (draw it and see for yourself). The sine, on the other hand, is odd, which means that one part of it is in the negative y-plane and the other in the positive. The two sections have the same area, but the one that is in the negative y-plane has a negative area and therefore, the areas cancel and the integral of is zero. Hopefully this helped some.

If f(x) is an even function then f(x)=f(-x) for all x.
If f(x) is an odd function then f(x)=-f(-x) for all x.

For your question, on the interval [-T,0] do a change of variables to change t to -t and do some fiddling.

Also, think about the graphs of any odd function (sin(x) for example) on an interval symmetric about the origin, you should be able to 'see' the cancellation (similar for an even function)

Ordinary Diff. Eq.?

This looks a lot like a problem in my Diff. Eq. book. From that, an numeric constant r is found to be [itex]a+bi[/itex]. Then the equation is translated to [itex]{e^a(cos(b*t) + sin(b*t))}[/itex].
from that, the equation can be shortned to [itex]{e^a*cos(b*t)}[/itex].

Im not sure if this applies here, but I hope this helps. :biggrin:

Thankyou for the responses. I've got it now.

Related to Understanding Complex Integrals: A Step-by-Step Example with Truncated Waves

1. What is the purpose of understanding complex integrals?

The purpose of understanding complex integrals is to solve problems involving complex functions and to gain a deeper understanding of how these functions behave. This knowledge is crucial in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What are complex integrals?

Complex integrals are integrals that involve complex functions, which are functions with both real and imaginary components. They are typically represented by a contour integral, which is a line integral along a given path in the complex plane.

3. How are complex integrals evaluated?

Complex integrals are evaluated using various techniques, such as the Cauchy integral theorem, residue theorem, and the method of contour integration. These methods involve breaking down the integral into simpler parts and using properties of complex functions to solve them.

4. What is the significance of truncated waves in complex integrals?

Truncated waves, also known as Fourier transforms, play a significant role in complex integrals. They are used to decompose a complex function into its individual frequency components, making it easier to analyze and integrate.

5. What is the step-by-step process for understanding complex integrals?

The step-by-step process for understanding complex integrals involves first identifying the type of integral, choosing an appropriate method for evaluation, and then breaking down the integral into simpler parts. Next, the properties of complex functions and the chosen method are used to solve the integral. Finally, the solution is checked for accuracy and interpretation in the context of the problem at hand.