Understanding Continuity in Heaviside Equations?

• Thread starter dud6913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heaviside
In summary: in summary, the left and right limits for the function g(x) are both 3, and g(x) is continuous at x=1.
dud6913

Homework Statement

g(x) = [ x^2 + 2 if x<=1 & x + 2 if x>1,

I am asked to find the left and right limits, and whether the g(x) is continuous or not.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I draw the two equations, I get a hyperbola and a line of gradient 1. They both share the same point(1), so I would say that the limit on the left and right is both 3? Now here is where it confuses me. All the answers given, have no relevance to my opinion.

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you mean parabola and a line of gradient 1, and yes as they both tend to the same point, the function is conitnuous

Hi lanedance,

However, I am still unsure what the limits would be. I reckon that both left limit (x^2 + 2 if x<=1) and right limit( x + 2 if x>1), should be infinite.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Though, at x=1, the limit would be 3 right?

i think you're confusing limits at infinity and the left & right limit as you approach x=1

dud6913 said:
Though, at x=1, the limit would be 3 right?

yes as both the left and right limits exist and are the same

Also, i) the answers are that left limit is 1, and the right limit is 2, and that g(x) is continuous at x=1;
ii) that left limit is 2, and the right limit is 1, and that g(x) is not differentiable at x=1;
iii) that left limit is 1, and the right limit is 2, and that g(x) is not differentiable at x=1;
iv) that left limit is 1, and the right limit is 3, and that g(x) is not continuous at x=1;
v) none of the above

As i said before, i think that the limit for both of the functions would be at x=1, y=3, however, none of them give me that answer. Since you mentioned that the g(x) is continuous, i am assuming that the answer would be i).

Also, aren't both sides (left and right) meant to be continuous for g(x) to be continuous?
Left function includes 1, but right doesn't.

I am so confused...

sorry, aritmetic mistake
g(x) = [ x^2 + 2 if x<=1 & x + 2 if x>1]

clearly g(1) = 2 be defin

let x = 1-e, the left limit is as e>0 tends to 0
g(1-e) = (1+e)^2+2 = 3+e+e^2 --> 3, as e-->0

as x = 1+e, the right limit is as e>0 tends to 0
g(1+e) = 2+ (1+e) = 3 + e --> 3, as e-->0

so left limit is 3, right limit is 3, and that g(x) is continuous at x=1;

Thanks a lot!

I have also got the same answer after researching on the internet for a while.

Ta

Related to Understanding Continuity in Heaviside Equations?

What are Heaviside equations?

Heaviside equations, also known as Heaviside step functions, are mathematical functions that return a value of 0 for negative inputs and 1 for positive inputs.

Why are Heaviside equations useful?

Heaviside equations are useful in modeling and solving problems that involve discontinuous or step-like behavior, such as in electrical circuits, control systems, and differential equations.

What is the formula for a Heaviside equation?

The formula for a Heaviside equation is H(x) = {0 for x < 0, 1 for x ≥ 0}. This means that any value less than 0 is mapped to 0, and any value greater than or equal to 0 is mapped to 1.

How do you graph a Heaviside equation?

To graph a Heaviside equation, plot a straight line at y = 0 for all x values less than 0, and a straight line at y = 1 for all x values greater than or equal to 0. The graph will have a step-like shape.

What are some real-world applications of Heaviside equations?

Heaviside equations are commonly used in electrical engineering to model the behavior of electronic circuits and in control systems to regulate and control processes. They are also used in differential equations to solve problems involving discontinuous functions.