Understanding Convolution Integral Changes and the Effect on H Function

In summary, the conversation discusses changes to the H function's argument and interval which result in a change to the function's value. The function is 1 within a certain interval, but if the interval is changed, the function is no longer 1. Additionally, the argument inside the integral is cut in half, which leads to simplification steps. The ending result is a change in the function's value.
nhrock3
5fqj5l.jpg

cant understand the red arrow transition
i changes the intervals and i cuts half of the arguent inside the integral
i can't see why
?

regarding the interval change
the H function is 1 in a certain interval
so if they change the integrval then its no longer H inside
because we have taken the '1' part of the H
??

regarding the cutting in half the argument inside the integral
i have no idea

Physics news on Phys.org
On the interval 0 <= t <= 1, we have H(t+1) - H(t-1) = 1. Outside that interval, H(t+1) - H(t-1) = 0. The steps the author skips here are just simplifying steps. Can you get the rest from here? I hope this helps.

thanks
:)

FAQ: Understanding Convolution Integral Changes and the Effect on H Function

1. What is a convolution integral?

A convolution integral is a mathematical operation that combines two functions in order to produce a third function. It is used in many scientific fields, including signal processing, image processing, and physics, to model how one signal or function affects another.

2. How is a convolution integral calculated?

A convolution integral is calculated by integrating the product of two functions over all possible values of one of the variables. This is typically done using mathematical techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

3. What is the significance of a convolution integral in signal processing?

In signal processing, a convolution integral is used to model how a system responds to an input signal. This is important because it allows us to analyze and manipulate signals in order to achieve a desired output.

4. Can a convolution integral be represented graphically?

Yes, a convolution integral can be represented graphically as a graphical demonstration of how two signals are combined to produce a third signal. This can be helpful in understanding the effects of different functions on each other.

5. Are there any real-world applications of convolution integrals?

Yes, convolution integrals have many real-world applications, including image and audio processing, radar and sonar technology, and modeling physical systems in physics and engineering. They are also used in machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms.