Understanding Cubic Equations of State (Pressure-Volume Relationship)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a book for learning chemical thermodynamics and the difficulties with understanding the pressure-volume relationship of the cubic equations of state. The diagram and equation for this relationship are provided, along with a question about the correctness of a differential. The mistake in the differential is later found and corrected.
ben_ob1
I am trying to teach myself some chemical thermodynamics, in particular some methods for fluid property evaluation. I am reading an excellent book which has helped a lot ("Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics", Smith-Van Ness-Abbott, Ed. 7, ISBN: 007-124708-4).

One thing that the book described, which I am now having some problems with, is the pressure-volume relationship of the cubic equations of state. Figure 3.11 in this book (page 92) shows a nice graph of this relationship with 3 isotherm lines. I have tried to make my own version of this figure (hopefully it is attached ok):

attachment.php?attachmentid=37873&stc=1&d=1312914978.jpg

The diagram shows that at temperatures less than the critical temperature (e.g. the T3 line) and for low pressures there are 3 vapour solutions (intersections with a horizontal pressure line).

Here is the equation:
[itex]P=\frac{RT}{V-b}-\frac{a}{\left(V+\epsilon b\right)\left(V+\sigma b\right)}[/itex]

Where [itex]P[/itex] is pressure, [itex]T[/itex] is temperature and [itex]V[/itex] is molar volume; [itex]a[/itex] is a function of temperature (but is always positive) and [itex]b[/itex], [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and [itex]\sigma[/itex] are positive constants; [itex]R[/itex] is the universal gas constant.

Differentiating this with respect to Volume while keeping T constant (an isotherm line) gives:
[itex]\left(\frac{dP}{dV}\right)_{T}=-\frac{RT}{\left(b-V\right)^{2}}-\frac{a\left(\epsilon b + \sigma b + 2V\right)}{\left(V+\epsilon b\right)^{2}\left(V+\sigma b\right)^{2}}[/itex]

Did I do this right? If this differential is correct then I don't see how there can be any extrema (maxima or minima) for any isotherm lines. The 2 terms in the equation would have to cancel each other out in order for the differential to equal zero. As far as I can see both terms will always have the same sign (for positive values of V) meaning they can never cancel out. Is my logic wrong? How does the isotherm T3 get its local minimum and local maximum?

Hope you can help explain this for me.
Ben.

Attachments

• CubicEoS_PV_Relationship.jpg
    CubicEoS_PV_Relationship.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,406
Engineering news on Phys.org
ben_ob1 said:
Differentiating this with respect to Volume while keeping T constant (an isotherm line) gives:
[itex]\left(\frac{dP}{dV}\right)_{T}=-\frac{RT}{\left(b-V\right)^{2}}-\frac{a\left(\epsilon b + \sigma b + 2V\right)}{\left(V+\epsilon b\right)^{2}\left(V+\sigma b\right)^{2}}[/itex]

Oops found the mistake.

[itex]\left(\frac{dP}{dV}\right)_{T}=-\frac{RT}{\left(b-V\right)^{2}}+\frac{a\left(\epsilon b + \sigma b + 2V\right)}{\left(V+\epsilon b\right)^{2}\left(V+\sigma b\right)^{2}}[/itex]

Related to Understanding Cubic Equations of State (Pressure-Volume Relationship)

1. What is a cubic equation of state?

A cubic equation of state is a mathematical model used to describe the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature of a substance at equilibrium. It is often used to analyze the behavior of gases and liquids.

2. How is the pressure-volume relationship represented in a cubic equation of state?

In a cubic equation of state, the pressure-volume relationship is represented by a cubic polynomial equation, with the variables being pressure (P) and volume (V). The coefficients of the equation are determined by the substance's properties, such as critical temperature and pressure.

3. What are the three types of cubic equations of state?

The three types of cubic equations of state are the Van der Waals equation, the Redlich-Kwong equation, and the Soave-Redlich-Kwong equation. Each equation has its own set of coefficients and is used for different types of substances.

4. How is a cubic equation of state used in practical applications?

Cubic equations of state are commonly used in many engineering and scientific fields, such as in the design and operation of chemical processes, the study of phase equilibrium in mixtures, and the development of thermodynamic models for predicting the behavior of substances under different conditions.

5. What are the limitations of using a cubic equation of state?

While cubic equations of state are useful in many applications, they have limitations when it comes to accurately describing the behavior of real substances. They do not account for factors such as intermolecular interactions, non-ideal behavior, and phase transitions, which can affect the pressure-volume relationship. Therefore, they may not provide accurate results for certain substances or extreme conditions.

Back