Understanding Current Flow in a Circuit with a Current Source

• Thread starter CoolDude420
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the homework statement says that all the input current i goes to the resistor R. However, it is unclear if this is true for the current generator that is placed in the middle of the right side (S2, D1).
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

Say I have the following hypotehtical circuit,
31431869b4.png

Ignore the open circuit at the bottom.

Would I be correct in saying that all of the input current i goes to the resistor R or would it be split? Because I know for a current source that it has to produce that current i5 no matter what.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 31431869b4.png
    31431869b4.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 706
Physics news on Phys.org
What circuit law could you appeal to in order to find out?

Likes anorlunda
gneill said:
What circuit law could you appeal to in order to find out?
KCL?

i = i1 + i5

where i1 is the current through resistor.

Well that answered my question.

CoolDude420 said:
KCL?

i = i1 + i5

where i1 is the current through resistor.

Well that answered my question.
:smile:

gneill said:
:smile:
Thank you. Apologies for the stupid question. I forgot the basics.

No worries. You got the answer by your own efforts with just one vagueish hint, so that's a win!

Likes cnh1995
gneill said:
No worries. You got the answer by your own efforts with just one vagueish hint, so that's a win!

Sorry. I'm just having some second doubts in relation to a different question but on the same topic.
d44b1d15bd.png

For this circuit, I was told that ALL the current $$g_mv_{gs,2}$$ flows through resistor $$r_{o2}$$. Now that doesn't make sense if I apply KCL at the the middle node on the right side(S2, D1).
KCL at S2, D1 $$ g_mv_{gs,2} + i_{r_{o1}}= i_{r_{o2}} + g_mv_{gs,1}$$
Rearranging,
$$ g_mv_{gs,2} = i_{r_{o2}} + g_mv_{gs,1} - i_{r_{o1}}$$

That is telling me that in fact, not all of the current is going through r_o2. See the related thread,
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/cascode-amplifier-small-signal-model.940510/#post-5951679

It made sense at the time, but I am having doubts about it now.

Attachments

• d44b1d15bd.png
    d44b1d15bd.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 314
The current generator must "draw in" the same current that it "pushes out", and the only path for that drwin-in current is via that resistor.
upload_2018-3-14_15-55-31.png

CoolDude420 said:
For this circuit, I was told that ALL the current $$g_mv_{gs,2}$$ flows through resistor $$r_{o2}$$. Now that doesn't make sense if I apply KCL at the the middle node on the right side(S2, D1).
KCL at S2, D1 $$ g_mv_{gs,2} + i_{r_{o1}}= i_{r_{o2}} + g_mv_{gs,1}$$
Rearranging,
$$ g_mv_{gs,2} = i_{r_{o2}} + g_mv_{gs,1} - i_{r_{o1}}$$

That is telling me that in fact, not all of the current is going through r_o2. See the related thread,
And if ##i_{r_{o2}} = g_mv_{gs,2}##, what does the equation tell you?

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-14_15-55-31.png
    upload_2018-3-14_15-55-31.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 688
gneill said:
The current generator must "draw in" the same current that it "pushes out", and the only path for that drwin-in current is via that resistor.
View attachment 221998And if ##i_{r_{o2}} = g_mv_{gs,2}##, what does the equation tell you?

Ah.. I get it now. So the current source is fixing the current in that branch no matter what and if other currents were to flow into ro2 then, that fixed branch current wouldn't be fixed anymore.

Related to Understanding Current Flow in a Circuit with a Current Source

1. Where does the current flow?

Current flows in a closed loop, from the positive terminal of a power source to the negative terminal.

2. How does the current flow in a circuit?

The flow of current in a circuit is caused by the movement of electrons. Electrons flow from the negative terminal of a power source, through the circuit components, and back to the positive terminal.

3. What factors affect the flow of current?

The flow of current is affected by the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the circuit components, and the type of material the circuit is made of.

4. Can current flow in both directions?

Yes, current can flow in both directions in an alternating current (AC) circuit. In a direct current (DC) circuit, the current only flows in one direction.

5. What happens if there is a break in the circuit?

If there is a break in the circuit, the flow of current will stop because the electrons cannot complete the closed loop. This is why circuits must be complete for current to flow.