Understanding D0-branes and Kappa-Symmetry

• Thread starter haushofer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counting
In summary, the conversation discusses the introduction of kappa-symmetry in Becker2Schwarz, chapter 5.1, for D0 branes in the GS formalism. This symmetry helps to maintain the correct number of propagating degrees of freedom, specifically 8 real components, for the fermions \Theta^a. However, for the D0-brane, which is a particle, there are initially 10 real components X^{\mu}, and choosing the static gauge brings this number down to 9. The conversation also touches on the differences between worldsheet SUSY and target space SUSY and how kappa symmetry is related to obtaining the right amount of SUSY for the massive D0-brane.
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Hi,

I'm reading Becker2Schwarz, chapter 5.1, about D0 branes in the GS formalism. They introduce kappa-symmetry, and end the section with "without this symmetry there would be the wrong number of propagating degrees of freedom".

I'm trying to understand that. The fermions [tex]\Theta^a[/tex] have, for D=10, [tex]2^5=32[/tex] complex components. But they are Majorana-Weyl, so this brings this number back to [tex]\frac{32}{4}=8[/tex] complex components. Kappa-symmetry implies that half of these fermions are gauge degrees of freedom, giving us 8 real components.

However, for the D0-brane, which is a particle, we start with 10 real components [tex]X^{\mu}[/tex]. Choosing e.g. the static gauge brings this back to 9 components. Obviously, to have as many bosonic degrees of freedom as fermionic (8 real), I need to get rid of another bosonic degree of freedom. How do I do that?

Perhaps I'm also confused by worldsheet SUSY versus target space SUSY; to realize target space SUSY on [tex]\{\Theta^a,X^{\mu}\}[/tex] one doesn't need this kappa symmetry, right?

Any help is appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me add something: for the massless case m=0, one can write down the superparticle in both RNS and GS formalism, and also realize both worldline- and targetspace SUSY. (this is also treated in chapter 4 of BBS). In this case the counting works: a massless particle has 8 bosonic degrees of freedom, and so has the spinor.

For the massive case one realizes target space SUSY via

[tex]
\delta \Theta^A = \epsilon^A, \ \ \ \ \delta X^{\mu} = \bar{\epsilon}^A\Gamma^{\mu}\Theta^A
[/tex]
where A=1,...,N labels the amount of SUSY. This algebra implies that a translation P on Theta is zero, so Theta is a zero eigenvector of P, and hence that P is not invertible. Then one doesn't need to have the same amount of X-components and Theta-components, right? I wouldn't know how to realize now wordline supersymmetry.

Maybe this section of BBS is a bit unclear; it now seems to me that this kappa symmetry is not per se about obtaining the same amount of X- and Theta components, but just about obtaining the right amount of SUSY. Does that make sense?

haushofer said:
"without this symmetry there would be the wrong number of propagating degrees of freedom"

The number of propagating degrees of freedom are determined by the equation of motion (5.18).

And (5.15) for the X, of course. But I can't fully understand what is "wrong" if kappa symmetry is not there for the massive D0-brane. Is it because the D0-brane breaks N=2 SUSY to N=1 SUSY, and that kappa symmetry takes care of this in the GS formalism?

FAQ: Understanding D0-branes and Kappa-Symmetry

1. What are D0-branes?

D0-branes are fundamental objects in string theory that represent a point-like particle. They are often described as "particles moving in a different dimension", and possess both electric and magnetic charges.

2. What is Kappa-symmetry?

Kappa-symmetry is a mathematical symmetry that is used to describe the dynamics of D-branes in string theory. It is related to the invariance of the action under local supersymmetric transformations.

3. How are D0-branes and Kappa-symmetry related?

D0-branes and Kappa-symmetry are closely related because Kappa-symmetry is used to describe the dynamics of D0-branes. Kappa-symmetry ensures that the dynamics of the D0-branes are consistent with the underlying supersymmetry of the theory.

4. What is the significance of understanding D0-branes and Kappa-symmetry?

Understanding D0-branes and Kappa-symmetry is important because it allows us to better understand the fundamental building blocks of string theory and their behavior. It also helps us to develop a more complete understanding of the theory and its potential applications in other areas of physics.

5. Are there any practical applications of D0-branes and Kappa-symmetry?

While there are currently no direct practical applications of D0-branes and Kappa-symmetry, the insights gained from studying them may have potential implications for areas such as quantum computing and high energy physics.