Understanding derivation of delta-y transform

In summary, the conversation discusses a Y-Δ transformation that is helpful for dealing with circuits in specific configurations. The purpose of this transformation is to evaluate a Δ circuit as a Y circuit and vice versa. The derivation of the transform equations can be found in the provided Wikipedia link, but the specific expression for the impedance at a node is not clear. The conversation then goes on to discuss how to determine the values of R1, R2, and R3 in order to have the same equivalent resistance between any two points in both circuits. The conversation ends with a thank you for the help and a suggestion to watch a video for further understanding.
TheCanadian
Hi,

I was just looking over my textbook, and it mentions a ## \Delta##-y and y-## \Delta## transformation that is helpful for dealing with circuits in these configurations. The equations can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-Δ_t...xistence_and_uniqueness_of_the_transformation

After looking through the above link and searching for a proper derivation elsewhere, I simply don't seem to understand how the transform equations were derived. If I'm not mistaken, the whole purpose is to be able to evaluate a ## \Delta ## circuit as a Y circuit, and vice versa. Thus, equivalent resistances must be found. But after looking at the derivation provided in the wikipedia link, I don't quite see how it is known that the impedance at a node is: ## R = \frac {R'R''}{\sum R_{\Delta}} ##. Maybe my understanding of nodal analysis is poor, but how is that expression specifically derived?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
YDelta.jpg

Given RA, RB, RC, determine R1,R2,R3 so as the equivalent resistance between any two points is the same in both circuits.
For 1,2 it means :
[tex]\frac{1}{\frac{1}{R_C}+\frac{1}{R_A+R_B}}=R_1+R_2[/tex]
Write up the other two equations for 2,3 and 3,1, and solve for R1, R2, R3.Or watch the video

Likes TheCanadian
ehild said:
View attachment 89767

Given RA, RB, RC, determine R1,R2,R3 so as the equivalent resistance between any two points is the same in both circuits.
For 1,2 it means :
[tex]\frac{1}{\frac{1}{R_C}+\frac{1}{R_A+R_B}}=R_1+R_2[/tex]
Write up the other two equations for 2,3 and 3,1, and solve for R1, R2, R3.Or watch the video

Thank you! Putting the equation into that form really helped!

Related to Understanding derivation of delta-y transform

1. What is the delta-y transform?

The delta-y transform is a mathematical technique used to simplify complex electrical circuits by breaking them down into smaller subcircuits. It allows for easier analysis and calculation of circuit parameters, such as voltages and currents.

2. How does the delta-y transform work?

The delta-y transform involves replacing a set of three parallel resistors with a set of three series resistors, and vice versa. This is achieved by using a set of transformation equations that relate the original resistances to the transformed resistances.

3. Why is the delta-y transform useful?

The delta-y transform is useful because it can greatly simplify complex circuits, making them easier to analyze and understand. It also allows for the application of other circuit analysis techniques, such as the superposition method and nodal analysis.

4. What are the limitations of the delta-y transform?

The delta-y transform is only applicable to circuits that can be represented by a combination of series and parallel resistors. It cannot be used for circuits with non-linear or time-varying components. Additionally, the transformation equations may not always yield exact values, leading to potential errors in analysis.

5. How can I apply the delta-y transform in my own work?

The delta-y transform can be applied in many areas of electrical engineering, such as circuit design, analysis, and troubleshooting. It is particularly useful in the analysis of power distribution networks and transmission lines. To apply the delta-y transform, you must first identify the relevant parallel and series resistances in your circuit and use the transformation equations to simplify the circuit.