Understanding Determinants of a 3x3 Matrix: A Beginner's Guide

In summary, to find the determinant of a 3x3 matrix, you can use the expansion by minors method or simplify the matrix using elementary operations before expanding. Another method is to row-reduce the matrix to triangular form and multiply the numbers on the diagonal.
Spunky_Dunky
could someone please explain simply how to get the determinate of a 3 * 3 matrix I'm relly stuck I've looked through my textbooks but it only has examples of how to do it useing a grapgics calculator thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Spunky_Dunky said:
could someone please explain simply how to get the determinate of a 3 * 3 matrix I'm relly stuck I've looked through my textbooks but it only has examples of how to do it useing a grapgics calculator thanks

you break it up into three 2x2 determinents!

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Determinant.html

look at the first line of eqt. 27

You could do that, or use some properties first to create 0's and then develop to a row or column. There's also a direct way, but it's a bit 'long':

[tex]\begin{gathered}
A = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{a_{11} } & {a_{12} } & {a_{13} } \\
{a_{21} } & {a_{22} } & {a_{23} } \\
{a_{31} } & {a_{32} } & {a_{33} } \\
\end{array} } \right) \Rightarrow \det \left( A \right) = \left| {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
\end{array} } \right| \hfill \\ \\
= a_{1,1}\cdot{a}_{2,2}\cdot{a}_{3,3} + a_{1,3}\cdot{a}_{3,2}\cdot{a}_{2,1} + a_{1,2}\cdot{a}_{2,3}\cdot{a}_{3,1} -
a_{1,3}\cdot{a}_{2,2}\cdot{a}_{3,1} - a_{1,1}\cdot{a}_{2,3}\cdot{a}_{3,2} - a_{1,2}\cdot{a}_{2,1}\cdot{a}_{3,3} \hfill \\
\end{gathered} [/tex]

form Spunky_Dunkey

thanks very much :smile:

TD said:
You could do that, or use some properties first to create 0's and then develop to a row or column. There's also a direct way, but it's a bit 'long':

[tex]\begin{gathered}
A = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
\end{array} } \right) \Rightarrow \det \left( A \right) = \left| {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
\end{array} } \right| \hfill \\ \\
= a_{1,1}\cdot{a}_{2,2}\cdot{a}_{3,3} + a_{1,3}\cdot{a}_{3,2}\cdot{a}_{2,1} + a_{1,2}\cdot{a}_{2,3}\cdot{a}_{3,1} -
a_{1,3}\cdot{a}_{2,2}\cdot{a}_{3,1} - a_{1,1}\cdot{a}_{2,3}\cdot{a}_{3,2} - a_{1,2}\cdot{a}_{2,1}\cdot{a}_{3,3} \hfill \\
\end{gathered} [/tex]

oh, right. that crap.

:-p

my calc III prof went over that, mainly as a curiosity. I've used expansion by minors exclusively.

whatever's easiest to you!

I usually expand by minors too, but not before I simplified it first using elementary operations. Having to expand it 'in full' is long too hehe :wink:

If you row-reduce the matrix to triangular form, finding the determinant is just multiplying the numbers on the diagonal.

TD said:
I usually expand by minors too, but not before I simplified it first using elementary operations. Having to expand it 'in full' is long too hehe :wink:

that's a really good idea. would have really come in handy when i was in 11th grade. :frown: (we had the occasional 4x4 determinant! )

FAQ: Understanding Determinants of a 3x3 Matrix: A Beginner's Guide

1. What is a determinant?

A determinant is a mathematical value that represents the properties of a square matrix. It is a single number that can be used to determine certain properties of the matrix, such as whether it is invertible or singular.

2. Why is understanding determinants important?

Determinants are important because they can be used to solve systems of linear equations, find the inverse of a matrix, and determine whether a matrix has a unique solution. They also have applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How do you calculate the determinant of a 3x3 matrix?

To calculate the determinant of a 3x3 matrix, you can use the "cross-multiplication" method or the "Sarrus method." The cross-multiplication method involves multiplying the elements of the first row by the determinants of the 2x2 matrices formed by the remaining rows and columns. The Sarrus method involves creating two additional columns by repeating the first two columns and then adding the products of the diagonals going from the upper left to the lower right and subtracting the products of the diagonals going from the upper right to the lower left.

4. What is the significance of a determinant equaling zero?

If the determinant of a matrix is equal to zero, it means that the matrix is singular, or not invertible. This means that the matrix does not have a unique solution and cannot be used to solve systems of equations.

5. How can understanding determinants help with matrix operations?

Understanding determinants can help with matrix operations by providing a quick way to determine if a matrix is invertible, and therefore can be used to solve systems of equations. It can also help with finding the inverse of a matrix and performing other algebraic operations on matrices.

Back