Understanding Differentials: Deriving dε = F dot dr

In summary: So, if we want to find the total differential of a function at a point, we can use FTC to find the total differential of the function at any point in the domain, and then use that to find the total differential of the function at the point we are interested in.
Syrus

Homework Statement

The proof begins: Suppose that F is conservative. Then a scalar field ε(r) can be defined as the line integral of F from the origin to the point r. So ∫F dot dr = ε(r), where the limits of integration are from 0 to r.

The next step, however, eludes me: From the definition of an integral, it then follows that an infinitesimal change in ε is given by dε = F dot dr.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Usually total differentials are related to partial derivatives, tangent planes, and Taylor expansions. I'm failing to fill in the intermediate steps in deriving dε = F dot dr from ∫F dot dr = ε(r) using the "definition of integral". Any insight?

Physics news on Phys.org

Upon second thought:d/dr [∫F dot dr] = d/dr [∫F dot ndr] , where n is a unit vector in the direction of dr. So,

d/dr [∫F dot ndr] = d/dr [ε(r)]. Thus,

F dot n = d/dr [ε(r)]

and so, multiplying by dr:

dε(r) = F dot ndr = F dot dr

Is this valid?

Syrus said:
Upon second thought:d/dr [∫F dot dr] = d/dr [∫F dot ndr] , where n is a unit vector in the direction of dr. So,

d/dr [∫F dot ndr] = d/dr [ε(r)]. Thus,

F dot n = d/dr [ε(r)]

and so, multiplying by dr:

dε(r) = F dot ndr = F dot dr

Is this valid?

Close, but [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] is a vector, and so an infinitesimal change in [itex]\epsilon ( \mathbf{r} )[/itex] is really

[tex]d\epsilon = \frac{ \partial \epsilon}{ \partial x} dx + \frac{ \partial \epsilon}{ \partial y} dy + \frac{ \partial \epsilon}{ \partial z} dz = \mathbf{ \nabla } \epsilon \cdot d\mathbf{r}[/tex]

Hi gabbagabbahey! I understand that what you posted is the equation for the total differential, I am just struggling to understand how from ∫F dot dr = ε(r) (where the limits of integration are from 0 to r) one deduces the result- in particular, using the "definition of integral".

That is, how can we derive dε = F dot dr from what we have above?

Syrus said:
Hi gabbagabbahey! I understand that what you posted is the equation for the total differential, I am just struggling to understand how from ∫F dot dr = ε(r) (where the limits of integration are from 0 to r) one deduces the result- in particular, using the "definition of integral".

Well, to me, the statement "From the definition of an integral" means using the fundamental theorem of calculus (FTC). For a simple one-dimensional integral, FTC tells you that if [itex]F(b)-F(a) = \int_a^b f(x) dx[/itex], then [itex]F'(x)=f(x)[/itex] (or [itex]dF = f(x)dx[/itex]).

For line integrals, this generalizes to the statement that if [itex]F(\mathbf{b}) - F(\mathbf{a}) = \int_{ \mathbf{a} }^{ \mathbf{b} } \mathbf{f} ( \mathbf{r} ) \cdot d \mathbf{r}[/itex] regardless of which path you choose for the integration, then [itex]\mathbf{\nabla} F = \mathbf{f} ( \mathbf{r} )[/itex] (or, equivalently [itex]dF=\mathbf{f} ( \mathbf{r} ) \cdot d \mathbf{r}[/itex])

Related to Understanding Differentials: Deriving dε = F dot dr

1. What is the purpose of understanding differentials?

The purpose of understanding differentials is to have a better understanding of how quantities change and to be able to calculate these changes more accurately. This is particularly useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is a differential?

A differential is a small change in a quantity, usually represented by the symbol "d". It is used to measure the rate of change of a quantity with respect to another variable.

3. What is the meaning of dε = F dot dr?

This equation represents the differential form of the work-energy theorem, where dε represents the change in energy, F represents the force exerted, and dr represents the displacement. It is used to calculate the work done by a force on an object.

4. How is dε = F dot dr derived?

dε = F dot dr is derived using the dot product, which is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar value. In this case, the dot product is used to calculate the work done by a force on an object, which is represented by the change in energy (dε).

5. What are some applications of understanding differentials?

Understanding differentials has many practical applications, such as calculating changes in position, velocity, acceleration, and work done by a force. It is also used in fields such as economics to calculate marginal cost and marginal revenue, and in engineering to calculate stress and strain in materials.