Understanding Disjoint Cycles: $k_1$ and $k_2$

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cycles
In summary, we discussed the concept of disjoint cycles in permutations and how they can be decomposed into cycles. However, there are some conventions and technical details that need to be considered, such as omitting 1-cycles or ordering the cycles in a specific way. Additionally, the presence of a 1-cycle does not affect the permutation, so it is often left out in the analysis.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

$$k_1=(a_1 \ \ \ a_2 \ \ \ \dots \ \ \ a_m)$$
$$k_2=(b_1 \ \ \ b_2 \ \ \ \dots \ \ \ b_n)$$

These cycles are disjoint if each $a_i$ is $\neq$ from each $b_j$.
We remark that $k_1(a_i) \neq a_i$ and since $a_i$ isn't any of the $b_j$ that means that $k_2(a_i)=a_i$.
Respectively: $k_2(b_j) \neq b_j \ \ \ \forall j \ \ \ \text{ and } \ \ \ k_1(b_j)=b_j$.What I understand from that is the following:
These cycles are disjoint if all the elements are different.
It stands that $k_1(a_i) \neq a_i$ because if $k_1(a_i)=a_i$ then we wouldn't write this element in the cycle but since it exists there it must be $k_1(a_i) \neq a_i$. And since the $a_i$'s and $b_j$'s are all different, at the cycle $k_2$ there is no $a_i$, that means that it must be $k_2(a_i)=a_i$.Could you tell me if I have understood it right?? (Wasntme)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

$$k_1=(a_1 \ \ \ a_2 \ \ \ \dots \ \ \ a_m)$$
$$k_2=(b_1 \ \ \ b_2 \ \ \ \dots \ \ \ b_n)$$

These cycles are disjoint if each $a_i$ is $\neq$ from each $b_j$.
We remark that $k_1(a_i) \neq a_i$ and since $a_i$ isn't any of the $b_j$ that means that $k_2(a_i)=a_i$.
Respectively: $k_2(b_j) \neq b_j \ \ \ \forall j \ \ \ \text{ and } \ \ \ k_1(b_j)=b_j$.What I understand from that is the following:
These cycles are disjoint if all the elements are different.
It stands that $k_1(a_i) \neq a_i$ because if $k_1(a_i)=a_i$ then we wouldn't write this element in the cycle but since it exists there it must be $k_1(a_i) \neq a_i$. And since the $a_i$'s and $b_j$'s are all different, at the cycle $k_2$ there is no $a_i$, that means that it must be $k_2(a_i)=a_i$.Could you tell me if I have understood it right?? (Wasntme)

Yep. You've understood it right! (Smile)But... suppose we pick $m=1$.
Then $k_1 = (a_1)$.
But... but... that would mean that $k_1(a_1) = a_1$. :eek:
How can that be? (Wondering)

There are some "conventions" that get around that difficulty:

1. We do not define 1-cycles at all, or
2. We note ALL 1-cycles are the identity, and define disjoint cycles for non-identity cycles only, or
3. We amend the statement of the original post to stipulate that $m,n > 1$

The decomposition of a permutation into disjoint cycles isn't "unique" much like factorization of integers isn't unique if we allow factors of units, or different ordering of primes. We can get around this by:

a) Omitting all 1-cycles
b) Ordering each cycle $(a_1\ a_2\ \dots\ a_n)$ so that $a_1 = \min(a_1,a_2,\dots,a_n)$
c) Ordering each product of disjoint cycles:

$(a_1\ a_2\ \dots\ a_{n_1})(b_1\ b_2\ \dots\ b_{n_2})\cdots(k_1\ a_2\ \dots\ k_{n_r})$

so that: $a_1 < b_1 < \cdots < k_1$.

These "technical details" are often glossed over, just as factorization of primes usually doesn't insist the primes are listed in increasing order, but we tend to do it anyway.

So, for example, instead of writing (5 4 6)(3 2), we would write (2 3)(4 6 5), even though both refer to the same permutation of $S_6$.

I like Serena said:
Yep. You've understood it right! (Smile)But... suppose we pick $m=1$.
Then $k_1 = (a_1)$.
But... but... that would mean that $k_1(a_1) = a_1$. :eek:
How can that be? (Wondering)

Maybe we have to suppose that $m>1$... (Wasntme)

For example when we have the following permutation:
$$\sigma=\begin{pmatrix}
1 &2 &3 &4 &5 &6 &7 &8 &9 &10 \\
2 &4 &1 &5 &9 &6 &8 &7 &10 &3
\end{pmatrix}$$
the analysis into disjoint cycles is:
$$\sigma=\bigl(\begin{smallmatrix}
1 & 2 & 4 & 5 & 9 &10 &3
\end{smallmatrix}\bigr)\bigl(\begin{smallmatrix}
7 & 8
\end{smallmatrix}\bigr)$$

$6$ does not appear at the cycles since $\displaystyle{\sigma(6)=6}$What do you mean?? (Thinking)

mathmari said:
Maybe we have to suppose that $m>1$... (Wasntme)

Yep.
We'll need to do something like that as Deveno explained.
Otherwise those propositions are simply incorrect. :eek:
For example when we have the following permutation:
$$\sigma=\begin{pmatrix}
1 &2 &3 &4 &5 &6 &7 &8 &9 &10 \\
2 &4 &1 &5 &9 &6 &8 &7 &10 &3
\end{pmatrix}$$
the analysis into disjoint cycles is:
1 & 2 & 4 & 5 & 9 &10 &3
\end{smallmatrix}\bigr)\bigl(\begin{smallmatrix}
7 & 8

$6$ does not appear at the cycles since $\displaystyle{\sigma(6)=6}$What do you mean?? (Thinking)

You have a free choice to include $(6)$ in the cycles or not.
You could also write it as:
1 & 2 & 4 & 5 & 9 &10 &3
\end{smallmatrix}\bigr) \bigl(\begin{smallmatrix}
\end{smallmatrix}\bigr) \bigl(\begin{smallmatrix}
7 & 8
Usually $(6)$ is left out, since its presence is not relevant in this context. (Mmm)

Related to Understanding Disjoint Cycles: $k_1$ and $k_2$

1. What are disjoint cycles?

Disjoint cycles are cycles in a permutation that do not share any elements. In other words, the elements in one cycle do not appear in any other cycle in the permutation.

2. How do I determine the length of a disjoint cycle?

The length of a disjoint cycle is equal to the number of elements in the cycle. For example, a cycle with 4 elements has a length of 4.

3. How do I identify $k_1$ and $k_2$ in a permutation with disjoint cycles?

$k_1$ and $k_2$ represent the lengths of the two longest disjoint cycles in a permutation. To identify them, first list all the disjoint cycles in the permutation, then identify the two longest ones and their lengths will be $k_1$ and $k_2$ respectively.

4. Can there be more than two disjoint cycles in a permutation?

Yes, there can be any number of disjoint cycles in a permutation. The two longest ones are just denoted as $k_1$ and $k_2$.

5. How are disjoint cycles related to group theory?

In group theory, a permutation can be represented as a product of disjoint cycles, and this representation is unique. This helps in understanding the structure and properties of a group.